STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Question about the Effect Notation [@Trait Mod]

I am running a Savaged Shadowrun game where I use the Firewall as a modifier against the Hacker. I created the commlinks and other devices that characters use to have the Firewall built into it with the following effect that gets added when dropped into the combat tracker. [@Hacking - (whatever the mod might be)]. The cool thing is that it works, the bad news is that it applies the penalty twice for some reason. Can't figure out why. I like the automation as it keeps me from looking at the gear in the middle of combat but then I have to adjust the result anyway. Any idea why this is happening?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by morgangould View Post
    I am running a Savaged Shadowrun game where I use the Firewall as a modifier against the Hacker. I created the commlinks and other devices that characters use to have the Firewall built into it with the following effect that gets added when dropped into the combat tracker. [@Hacking - (whatever the mod might be)]. The cool thing is that it works, the bad news is that it applies the penalty twice for some reason. Can't figure out why. I like the automation as it keeps me from looking at the gear in the middle of combat but then I have to adjust the result anyway. Any idea why this is happening?
    Thanks!
    If you remove the effect, does it apply just once? Maybe the character already has an effect which applies to hacking?

Is the gear on a PC or NPC?
    Are you manually adding the effect to CT?

Gear is on both, and the effect is doubled either way for the defender. I snagged a screen shot. The effect is added via an item that is equipped, and on the CT it looks as if it should work properly. Also if I disable the effect it stops working all together like one would assume it would. It's just weird. Here is a screen grab -
    Double Penalty.jpg

What about the characters gear/edges/traits?

I set up attacks and gear like yours, and I'm not getting double penalties.
    Could you change "Firewall -4" to just "Firewall" to make parsing out all the "-4" easier on my brain? Sometimes the attack details are confusing but the math is correct. And I'm curious if that will fix it.
    Could you give us a screen shot of the gear, abilities, and edges on the NPC and PC also, so we can see how it's set up?
    I suspect the same as Jiminimonka; there's something else at play.
    Do you have a custom Firewall Effect or Damage Type set up for your setting? If so, "Firewall -4" may be applying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    I set up attacks and gear like yours, and I'm not getting double penalties.
    Could you change "Firewall -4" to just "Firewall" to make parsing out all the "-4" easier on my brain? Sometimes the attack details are confusing but the math is correct. And I'm curious if that will fix it.
    Could you give us a screen shot of the gear, abilities, and edges on the NPC and PC also, so we can see how it's set up?
    I suspect the same as Jiminimonka; there's something else at play.
    Do you have a custom Firewall Effect or Damage Type set up for your setting? If so, "Firewall -4" may be applying.
    I experimented a bit with by removing the extra verbiage and it still doubles the penalty. If I just make a Hacking roll, then drop it on the character as an attack, it will calculate correctly, but target's the Parry attribute instead of the standard 4, regardless of the range. I do not have Firewall or Hacking as keywords for the attacks, so I'm not sure what is going on. Here is another screenshot with what I had made. I did set up the Hacking attacks as "Powers" as that seemed the easiest way for me to incorporate it as an attack. Not sure if you can do that as a regular attack so maybe that is my issue. Thanks for all the ideas though!
    Screengrab of Effects.png

I did just figure out how to set up a regular attack using a different Trait, but I still had the same result. Mike Serfass, if it is possible for you to share a screen shot of how you did it so that I may see if I'm just doing something odd that would be amazing. It may just be a compatibility glitch. I have added soooo much to the basic build to incorporate all the stuff I wanted in this game but so far this is the only confounding glitch I could not figure out, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by morgangould View Post
    I experimented a bit with by removing the extra verbiage and it still doubles the penalty. If I just make a Hacking roll, then drop it on the character as an attack, it will calculate correctly, but target's the Parry attribute instead of the standard 4, regardless of the range. I do not have Firewall or Hacking as keywords for the attacks, so I'm not sure what is going on. Here is another screenshot with what I had made. I did set up the Hacking attacks as "Powers" as that seemed the easiest way for me to incorporate it as an attack. Not sure if you can do that as a regular attack so maybe that is my issue. Thanks for all the ideas though!
    Screengrab of Effects.png
    ACMF has the Hacking effect already in his gear - you don't need to add it to the Combat Tracker as well. Anything on a character in [ ] gets added to the character, even if it is not on the Combat Tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    ACMF has the Hacking effect already in his gear - you don't need to add it to the Combat Tracker as well. Anything on a character in [ ] gets added to the character, even if it is not on the Combat Tracker.
    I probably explained myself poorly. I didn't add the effect directly, but I turned off the effect in the CT to see if that would do anything. It adds from the gear as it is supposed to. I may just go through and scrub all of the gear and add it back in to see if that fixes the issue.
    Thanks again for the replies!

Thread Information