Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 10 First 12345 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    If the OGL is unauthorized, it is possible that no new sales will be allowed. Or maybe no new conversions of existing items will be allowed.

It certainly would not allow new material not already written as that needs to be under the OGL 1.1 and VTT is forbidden.

Now maybe Smiteworks has a special deal like Doug cut to get 5e (and 2e) and is all NDAed up and cannot discuss it, but it certainly is a threat and the majority of “D&D” material here (Pathfinder being D&D as well) is under the OGL.
    The new OGL specifically limits the media that it limits but only if you are using the OGL as your path to publishing. There are plenty of publishers in the computer game industry that are specifically licensed directly between Hasbro and the publisher. SmiteWorks and Roll20 already have that sort of deal, that is how they can release products it takes weeks or months to convert on the same day. They are probably already paying the license fee and probably have been for years. Foundry, Owlbear, etc., probably not in the greatest of positions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    If the OGL is unauthorized, it is possible that no new sales will be allowed. Or maybe no new conversions of existing items will be allowed.

It certainly would not allow new material not already written as that needs to be under the OGL 1.1 and VTT is forbidden.

Now maybe Smiteworks has a special deal like Doug cut to get 5e (and 2e) and is all NDAed up and cannot discuss it, but it certainly is a threat and the majority of “D&D” material here (Pathfinder being D&D as well) is under the OGL.
    I havent read a single legal commentary on the topic that suggests that any existing materials would be affected.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I havent read a single legal commentary on the topic that suggests that any existing materials would be affected.
    I have seen plenty that have said no new materials at all under the existing OGL. And the new OGL stops VTT. Converting to VTT for sale may qualify as a new publishing and VTT is specifically not covered under the supposed new OGL.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

The big thing is Wizards is developing their own VTT. So they can easily make all their content exclusive to it.
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate

Blog Entries
    So much speculation. We can worry and fret, but honestly, unless you are a publisher, their is no value in worrying about it. Game on, enjoy, and when it's published then we can read what it actually says.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Not sure why folks are surprised. Once WotC went to Hasbro it has been a question of when not if they would try to do this. Honestly surprised it has taken them this long. Stop giving companies your money when they make it clear they do not respect your time or creativity. Heck how many people even play D&D rules as written.

My main worry is this does look they are lining up to stifle the VTT market. The leak was pretty clear anything for a VTT was outside of the OGL.

Pikup

for those who wants to sign the OGL protest, it is here : https://www.opendnd.games/
    DMed in this :
    Pathfinder,Forgotten realms, Dark sun, Birthright, Ravenloft, Mystara, Own creation
    2e, 3.5 & 5

So many things wrong with this change. Took up the fight to defend D&D from 'Concerned Christians' in the '80s, now it has to be defended from its own publisher - not sure it's worth the effort

Blog Entries
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathMagnet View Post
    So many things wrong with this change. Took up the fight to defend D&D from 'Concerned Christians' in the '80s, now it has to be defended from its own publisher - not sure it's worth the effort
    The game - or many games - will go on.
    What might be a short term bad for the rest of the industry will probably turn into a longer term plus.

Thread Information