DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last

FGU conflicting with Discord Bot

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the features in FGU really a lot.

The problem I'm having is this:
    I can run a server, locally or cloud, preparing the next session.... for days wiyhout closing it, without restarting it, without any issues.
    I usually complete my work, close FGU, and update FGU on the same day I'm about to run session.
    Then, as soon as people are connected and I'm displaying a map, I get freezes. No crash message or anything, just a window whiteout, FGU is unresponsive, and I have to kill FGU and restart it.
    This happens several times every session, most frequently while using the combat tracker.
    Every update either makes it slightly better or slightly worse.
    Having sunk an enormous amount of time into this, and a fair amount of cash, I am hesitant to switch to another VTT but I also can't keep using it in its current state, the campaign would die.
    Nobody are enjoying these game sessions.Half the time is spent on frustration over things not working.

If I am going to try to resolve this, where do I start? It doesn't seem to be a widespread problem?

System:
    Windows 10 22H2
    Intel i9 11th gen
    32gb DDR4
    Nvidia Gforce RTX 3070

Campaign:
    Rolemaster Classic
    All avaliable RMC modules
    Some added custom modules, but the game crashes even if those are not loaded.
    Last edited by moostik; December 7th, 2022 at 05:54.

Quote Originally Posted by moostik View Post
    and update FGU on the same day I'm about to run session.
    Umm, don't do that. Smiteworks and almost everyone here will tell you to NOT do that.

This sounds like some of your extensions might need updated especially if they aren't in the Forge (or are old and no longer maintained).

As soon as people are connected and I'm displaying a map, I get freezes. No crash message or anything, just a window whiteout, FGU is unresponsive, and I have to kill FGU and restart it.
    This happens several times every session, most frequently while using the combat tracker.
    When this happens, how long have you waited to see if it would clear? Most of the comparatively intense stuff FGU does isn't taking advantage of your GPU acceleration or multi-core CPU. Back when I was running a bunch of games (supposedly it's faster nowadays) I would see hangups for around a minute on some actions that involved long lists.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you have bandwidth issues. How big are the images and modes you are sharing? How .any players do you have? What is your upload (not download) speed? Does this happen when only 1 player connects?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    What is the size of your campaign folder for this campaign?
    If you start a new RMC campaign and open your normal modules and load an encounter and get someone to connect do you get the same issue?
    When a player is connecting for the first time I think it is pretty normal for your session to freeze for a few seconds at least.
    After that is should generally be OK.

Then, as soon as people are connected and I'm displaying a map, I get freezes. No crash message or anything, just a window whiteout, FGU is unresponsive, and I have to kill FGU and restart it.
    How big are the maps (width x height pixel resolution)?
    What map features do you have enabled? LoS? Lighting? Map effects?
    How many entries do you have in the combat tracker?
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 29th, 2022 at 16:20.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The FGU network code does need some TLC.

Jason

And also check on your GPU usage - if it's high, maybe use of the /vsync command might help - see here for more information: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...cing+GPU+Usage
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Rolemaster is one of the rulesets that I think place the heaviest load on FG because of all the tables being integral to pretty well everything you do in a game. It's right up there, perhaps (perhaps not) a step below the D&D Classics ruleset in terms of the stuff going on in the background for most rolls.

After several years of frustration with not being able to get FGU to perform at a level I considered to be baseline acceptable when running what is a normal game for me I bit the bullet and went out earlier this year and bought a laptop that is similar to what the OP has posted - I added more ram - up to 48 gb based on my experience with FGU - and I think it has made a difference. A "normal" game for me is 8+ PCs and 2x to 3x that NPC/enemies in combat (FWIW FGC handled this and more just fine).

This system can run a FPS like Escape from Tarkov on full graphics and have horsepower left to spare, yet FGU with LoS, a few ambient lights and one token with a light spell, another with a lantern and a 3rd with a torch seems to place a heavier load, especially if the map is "big" and the CT is "well populated". There has only been one map this new laptop struggled with and it is quite large and I had tokens spread out all over the place.

I like using FGU to it's fullest capacity to run and realize my game scenarios, so suggestions like minimizing CT population only works if you aren't in a situation where logically you would have "a lot" of actors in there.

If there are a lot of light sources, I want to have them, not hand wave and engage in half measures - as soon as you provide things like lighting and LoS, they aren't half measure type things in my opinion, so if I'm using them, I'm using them... not using two and hand waving the rest because FGU chuggs. Personally that approach doesn't work for me.

Several things I do before each game:

1. Reboot. Not a restart but a complete shut down, walk away for a few minutes and then start up again. Seems to make a difference (anecdotal).
    2. Load FGU 30 minutes or so before game time and let everyone know it's up and waiting for them to connect. This helps avoid 8+ people connecting at once and bogging things down, which sometimes seems to have carry over impacts for the rest of the session (anecdotal).
    2. Put an effect on each PC like VISMAX: x where x is the distance you want the token to have visibility out to, depending on your LoS and lighting effects.

I think personally this VISMAX effect has made a big difference. I don't know programming but I suspect that FGU normally calculates vision on each and every token on a map, out as far as possible until hitting the end of the map or intervening LoS blocks, and sends that data back and forth between every token on the map or in the CT, even if say 120' of 140' of that data is essentially "darkness - can't see". I could be wrong about that, but VISMAX has made a big difference for me. Personally I use x=75 for humans and people without special sight and x=90 or 120 for those with darkvision, infravision, etc.... You might think that this isn't very realistic, but in dungeons how often does someone really need more than say 75 feet of vision when torches are half that and lanterns a little more than half... its an accommodation I personally can live with compared to the alternatives.

Hope this gives some ideas/perspective to the OP.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    2. Put an effect on each PC like VISMAX: x where x is the distance you want the token to have visibility out to, depending on your LoS and lighting effects.

I think personally this VISMAX effect has made a big difference. I don't know programming but I suspect that FGU normally calculates vision on each and every token on a map, out as far as possible until hitting the end of the map or intervening LoS blocks, and sends that data back and forth between every token on the map or in the CT, even if say 120' of 140' of that data is essentially "darkness - can't see". I could be wrong about that, but VISMAX has made a big difference for me. Personally I use x=75 for humans and people without special sight and x=90 or 120 for those with darkvision, infravision, etc.... You might think that this isn't very realistic, but in dungeons how often does someone really need more than say 75 feet of vision when torches are half that and lanterns a little more than half... its an accommodation I personally can live with compared to the alternatives.

Hope this gives some ideas/perspective to the OP.
    Not the OP, but that VISMAX effect on tokens idea is awesome, I'm so going to try that my next game.
    Native Texan. Tabletop Gaming since 1977. Ultimate License holder. Life-long Trekkie. Traveller fanatic. Die-hard Savage. OSR enthusiast. 1930's Pulp aficionado.
    Currently Running:
    Cypher System: Shotguns, Sorcery & Shenanigans
    Currently Playing:
    Shadowdark: ShadowRim Excursion
    Savage Worlds: Hell Divers
    Ambition & Avarice: Maelstrom Island
    Time Zone: Central Daylight Time (GMT-5)

Thread Information