STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Booker Grimm View Post
    In our online game we have the odd frustating occurance. A PC was constantly rolling with disadvantage and none of us could work out why. But something with his character had gotten corrupted, so I just copied the info from his broken character to a new one mid game. It took about 5 minutes, but the players had a break and the problem was solved.
    This would almost certainly be caused by the armour proficiency in the combat calculation data screen being unchecked. If that isn't checked then that is telling FG that the character is not proficient with the armour they are wearing and so rolls with disadvantage.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I have had a handful of sessions across two campaigns (DM for both) where I had problems with FG. I think all of them were due to a single extension or a conflict between extensions. I enjoy getting and using extensions, although there is also a learning curve to benefit from each one, and I currently accept the drawbacks.

FG has been useful for managing games. It’s really nice to be able to fire it up and have most things where I left them from the last session — minus windows and their positions, really.

I have also had FG do surprising things with some really helpful results. I can’t think of specific examples, but they tend to be of the “why is NPC or PC rolling with advantage/disadvantage?” In those case, I’ve always been able to backtrack and figure out the why, and more often than not, an effect was applying that we would have forgotten about if playing without FG. In rare cases, it was probably the same thing, except we forgot to remove an effect or apply a new effect to cancel out something else.

I think there could be a few more UI affordances, like having additional useful functions in the right-click radial menus in certain situations. This may be a bit more discoverable than the use of drag and drop for some scenarios.

1. “Undo” command to undo the last action / set of rolls. This would MASSIVELY assist my tables. I guess we make too many mistakes.
    1a. An “Undo” command for the DM that appears next to output in the Chat window would also really help here.
    2. “Clone” or “duplicate” could help the “edit an NPC” task. Then again, an “Edit” radial menu command for NPCs could do the clone/duplicate and open the duplicate to save a bunch of steps.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity on macOS Monterey (v12) with an Intel Mac

Quote Originally Posted by jaharmi View Post
    2. “Clone” or “duplicate” could help the “edit an NPC” task. Then again, an “Edit” radial menu command for NPCs could do the clone/duplicate and open the duplicate to save a bunch of steps.
    Not sure what you mean here. You can duplicate an NPC now by dragging it and dropping it back into the NPC list which will give you an exact copy. You can also drag and drop an NPC on the CT back into the CT and it will create an exact copy.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I think he means that yes, dragging and dropping an NPC makes a duplicate, but it's not intuitive to do that if you didn't already know that. Dragging and dropping a file in the same folder in an operating system doesn't make a copy of a file. It would be more easily found if there was a radial menu that popped up when right-clicking on something in a table, such as an NPC, and having options for Copy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jaharmi View Post
    1. “Undo” command to undo the last action / set of rolls. This would MASSIVELY assist my tables. I guess we make too many mistakes.
    If you're playing 5e, I recommend 5e Undo Last Damage/Heal.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I can't explain the difference in game play experience then. My last session my players commented on how easy it is to be a player in the game and how surprised they are that it works so well (we've been using it for 2 years plus). Now does this mean we don't have hiccups? It does not. I just recognize them and we work around the rare times they occur. For sure I don't allow them to interfere with the flow of the game.

Last one was when I accidently deleted something from combat tracker that I was trying to delete an effect from. The kobold had been on a platform over a pit and had just been kicked to the edge of it by a player. I had the kobold attack and then - he disappeared off the map. Obviously, he had lost his balance and fell into the pit. The players loved it. But it was a hiccup. That I worked right on past so I did not wreck the game by concentrating on it.

Technically, very few hiccups we have had are not my own fault for doing something outside of the FGU game mechanics. Or my own issues with an extension (RISK - so I expect those if I used them - if I did not accept the RISK I would never use any extension in my games).

In the end, we have all had hiccups when we are in a rush DMing something but the difference probably between your games and mine are that I understand where the pitfalls are - and when I hit one - I don't let it stop the game (if I am confused over what happened its always a good time to take our break for 10 min). But as I said - in two plus years of playing I have never had a game "stopped" due to any hiccup and most hiccups were my own fault for doing something incorrectly within the framework of FGU.
    I can echo the same sentiment as SilentRuin, it took me a bit to learn the basics as I'm someone that doesn't like to read instructions.

The only times I've had to stop a game is when I needed to do lookup a rule but for the most part I usually look and see if I can get an extension to do what I need.

Thread Information