DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Lair Assault: Forge of the Dawn Titan - Comments/Questions about the content

Hello,

I purchased this adventure to run using the 5E ruleset. I've read the adventure and I'm a little disappointed with the product converted from 4E to 5E.

1) There are obvious references to 4E rules in the content. Examples, Standard Action, Minor Action. Magic Item levels. Encounter Powers, Daily Powers, At-Will Powers. Thievery Check (In 5E, this would be slight of hand?) I would've expected this content to be cleaned up during the conversion to 5E. To be fair, I did see that the NPCs were converted to 5E with no "4E terminology".
    2) In the content, under the heading "What the Players Know", the topic sentence is "The players might know some of the details of the dungeon prior to the encounter." There are no details regarding what the players might know. It would be nice to know if there are specifics or if this is "DMs discretion".
    3) One of the circumstances to be explained is "The characters have four minutes (20 rounds) to defeat Mordai Vell before he succeeds in crafting the scepter, causing them to lose the challenge." Isn't 4 minutes equal to 40 rounds and not 20 rounds? Was this another 4E detail that was not converted to 5E? If so, this is a blatant error! Please let me know which is correct.

Things I was impressed with

1) The maps. I really like that there are multiple maps included to run the adventure efficiently.
    2) The description of each room is well written and the details are clear.

Thanks
    Last edited by Baron28; November 23rd, 2022 at 07:44.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Timezone: UTC -6

DM: 1e Ruins of Adventure, Curse of the Azure Bonds
    DM: 5e Descent into Avernus
    D&D 1e to 5e adventures converted: Keep on the Borderlands, White Plume Mountain, Tomb of Horrors, Against the Giants, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, Vault of the Drow, Queen of the Demon Web Pits
    Transitioning from D&D to DCC

May your dice rolls be ever in your favor.

Yes, the text was ported directly from the pdf, and clearly some 4e references were missed when doing so.

I think the players knowing some details of the encounter is aimed at the fact that this is a repayable scenario; so what it means is that the players might know things because they've played it before.

I don't have the original files for this one (it was someone else who converted it) however if I remember correctly (and it's a long time since I played 4e) but wasn't a round in 4e the same as in 5e - that is six seconds? In which case it would be 40 rounds rather than 20. I'm not sure where the 20 rounds comes from. It may have been a misprint in the original documentation.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Yes, the text was ported directly from the pdf, and clearly some 4e references were missed when doing so.

I think the players knowing some details of the encounter is aimed at the fact that this is a repayable scenario; so what it means is that the players might know things because they've played it before.

I don't have the original files for this one (it was someone else who converted it) however if I remember correctly (and it's a long time since I played 4e) but wasn't a round in 4e the same as in 5e - that is six seconds? In which case it would be 40 rounds rather than 20. I'm not sure where the 20 rounds comes from. It may have been a misprint in the original documentation.
    Thank you for responding to address my questions and concerns, Zacchaeus. I thought a round in terms of time was 6 seconds in both rulesets. I agree that 20 rounds does seem short considering the number of encounters.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Timezone: UTC -6

DM: 1e Ruins of Adventure, Curse of the Azure Bonds
    DM: 5e Descent into Avernus
    D&D 1e to 5e adventures converted: Keep on the Borderlands, White Plume Mountain, Tomb of Horrors, Against the Giants, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, Vault of the Drow, Queen of the Demon Web Pits
    Transitioning from D&D to DCC

May your dice rolls be ever in your favor.

Blog Entries
    I looked into this one as a location to use in my ongoing campaign, but it didn't seem to meet my needs. Some of the discrepancies you noted were raised by others. You might appreciate a couple of reviews I know of:
    Review: Lair Assault – Forge of the Dawn Titan | www. Newbie DM .com
    It’s Here! – Lair Assault: Forge of the Dawn Titan – Dungeon's Master (dungeonsmaster.com)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information