DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Motion Tracker - how are people doing this?

So, motion trackers can be an exciting part of the Alien RPG. You here a ping, the GM places a little token on the map. Is it a cat? A civilian survivor? The xenomorph. Or just a malfunction.

I'm very new to Fantasy Grounds. In fact, Alien will be my first real use of it. I'm curious what people do for this. Do they change the token image for the xenomorph? Have false tokens on the map somehow that they replace with the xenomorph when or if it is revealed? And how do you handle the motion tracker itself? Do you define a vision like Dark Vision for the motion tracker?

If anybody has ever played the old boardgame Space Hulk, there was an excellent system with that where the blip counters would move around and only be turned over when the Space Marine player got line of sight on it. I'm wanting to replicate the feel of that in this game. Any tips?

You could change the icon on the token, but be aware that even if it is unidentified, they might figure out what it is by the name on the CT once you make it visible.
    You could just put one of the generic motion-tracker tokens on the map without it being on the ct. Then it could be anything.
    You could make an NPC with the name PING ...

Yeah, here's what I would do: I would change the token on the NPC and change the "unidentified name" to PING.

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    You could change the icon on the token, but be aware that even if it is unidentified, they might figure out what it is by the name on the CT once you make it visible.
    You could just put one of the generic motion-tracker tokens on the map without it being on the ct. Then it could be anything.
    You could make an NPC with the name PING ...

Yeah, here's what I would do: I would change the token on the NPC and change the "unidentified name" to PING.
    Thanks. I didn't know yet that you could set an Unidentified name for tokens. Yes, this is great. It's not that much work to drag in a new token image. At least, not in Alien where there's only supposed to be one of them or a few.

Om, to modify existing NPCs, you might have to copy them. Some have the red lock that doesn't allow modification, but if you copy them (I always copy them to a new campaign-specific group) you can modify them.

What if the player had a separate button on the desktop that opened a motion tracker panel? Kind of like the foundry setup?

All of these ideas are great in theory, but the Mother is very busy. In the end, many of these sort of things are simply conveyed via voice in a theare of the mind mode. Due to the overwhelming business of the mother while actually running the game, you simply don't have time to do everything. Therefore, I try to keep things as simple as possible.

I'm attempting to make a motion track extension. I'll keep you posted

I am very interested!

Working with images and lighting is stretching the possible but I posted a 17 sec video in discord of what I got so far. I'll see how much more I can get done this weekend.

That would be amazing. Add me to the "I am very interested!" list.

Thread Information