DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Customized Random Encounter Generator PF1E/Core

Howdy all. My first crack at a mod. Please enjoy.

This mod will allow you to enter in the CR required, pick a terrain type and generate a NPC(s).
    You can have it scale up with more NPC's or keep the CR the same with lower end NPC's.
    There is some fuzzy logic in helping to increase the number of NPC's in a particular terrain set and of course you can pick any and it will generate a pool of NPC's to select from that include the entire range in that CR rating.

Edit, adding note as commented to a response below regarding reset points.

Things that reset:
    Pick a new CR it resets the environment. --> Rational as the list is not a static list and is dynamically generated as you change CR, e.g. not all CR's have a creature with that environment selection.
    Higher CR vs Locked CR # creatures --> Rational as noted above a test for environment type had to be done, checks for which button to present, error messages for over 20 under 1 etc. It was far easier to just reset the # to 1.

Please let me know if there are any issues or problems.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/920/view

Future release:
    Handling NPC's between 21-25+ (If enough demand I could add it just seems pointless with so few NPC's)
    Handling NPC's below 1 - Non integer issues that i'm still looking at.

NOTE: my apologies. Please post all questions and issues in the extensions forums.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ator-PF1E-Core
    Last edited by celebrindal; November 18th, 2022 at 22:22.

Hi there. I've been trying out your encounter generator. Everything seems to be functioning as intended. That said, if you select options "out of order" (as in not Party CR -> Number of NPC's -> environment) or if you check the lower CR NPCs box, the choices you have made so far will be reset. It doesn't affect the core functionality of the extension, but it can be a bit frustrating to have everything reset if you change your mind about something or forget to change the value of a particular box.

Other than that, good work Do you plan on implementing options that allow individual creatures of above CR 20 to be selected? As far as I can tell, the highest CR that can be chosen is 20.

Hi, Nav. No I haven't planned on pumping it over 20 but to be honest it wouldn't be all that hard. When I did it up I was looking at the core stuff and it didn't have anything over 20. I'll take another look at my sets of compendiums and see what looks like a good max.

As for the reset yes. It was a deliberate choice. The reason being is it was possible, for the lower CR NPC's to pick an environment type that didn't exist. So the example I was using for my testing was CR 5, click on the button to pick lower mobs and dropped it to a CR 3. The terrain I picked at CR 5, did not have any NPC's that existed for CR 3. So rather than looking for Any, and trying to do some logic tests etc it was simpler to just add the new Environment box.

Now that being said there were so many drop down's etc that I had to start testing a myriad of combinations that could have been selected that wouldn't allow for a particular combination, so it was far easier to just do a reset. As you said once the user is aware it's pretty easy to make sure you do it in the set orderish to ensure data validity.

Things that reset:
    Pick a new CR it resets the environment. --> Rational as the list is not a static list and is dynamically generated as you change CR, e.g. not all CR's have a creature with that environment selection.
    Higher CR vs Locked CR # creatures --> Rational as noted above a test for environment type had to be done, checks for which button to present, error messages for over 20 under 1 etc. It was far easier to just reset the # to 1.

Note: Also to note, it doesn't reset everything, just the areas that are affected by changing that particular option or dropdown. E.g. Changing CR doesn't change NPC #'s, or the flag.. Changing the Flag doesn't change CR or environment type.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Edit: Regarding the CR 20 limit, seeing that there are less than 20 or 30 monsters total for higher than CR 20 I could add it in if enough folks want me to. Just seems odd to need a CR 25 random encounter when the only thing at 25 is a Tarrasque ;-) Similar to stuff below .5. Note I haven't put any logic in for below 1 yet it is a future functionality I'm looking at. Issues with how LUA/Xml deal with non integers.
    Last edited by celebrindal; November 18th, 2022 at 22:12.

Moving all future discussions to the proper forum.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ator-PF1E-Core
    Last edited by celebrindal; November 18th, 2022 at 22:23.

Please delete
    Last edited by celebrindal; November 18th, 2022 at 22:21.

Thread Information