STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

RM Spell mangement Help

This post is more related to the RM rules than to FGU.

I'm so confused about the development and use of spell that I need your help.

I'm struggling to understand how, once you have gain a part of a list of spells (lets say the 10 first levels), what happened then?
    - in the Spell list part
    - in the Skill list part

How do I cast a non targetting spell that I'm able to (level and PP) ?
    What is the "Base attack spell" there for ?

Lets take a concrete example. There is a level 3 cleric with 20 PP.
    He just put 8 Dev Points in the List "Channels" and managed to obtain the 10 first levels of the list (If I understood it well). What happened then ?

How does he cast the level 3 spell "Stunning": Stuns a target ? Based on what Skill ?

He also had the list "Communal Ways" and cast the level 1 spell "Guess". What skill do I use ?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Engelmann View Post
    I'm struggling to understand how, once you have gain a part of a list of spells (lets say the 10 first levels), what happened then?
    - in the Spell list part
    - in the Skill list part
    The character then learns the spells up to the level of the pick (in your example is 10 spells).
    The skill is then reset, and the character can then start to try to learn another list or more on the same list.

How do I cast a non targetting spell that I'm able to (level and PP) ?
    What is the "Base attack spell" there for ?
    PPs are the level of the spell, so a level 3 spell is 3 PPs, while a level 18 spell is 18 PPs.

For Base Attack Spell see below.

Lets take a concrete example. There is a level 3 cleric with 20 PP.
    He just put 8 Dev Points in the List "Channels" and managed to obtain the 10 first levels of the list (If I understood it well). What happened then ?
    Then the cleric can cast any of the spells on the Channels list up to their level (3), but they know the spells up to 10, so as they level they gain the ability to cast the higher level spells, up to the level they have learned.

There is the ability to overcast higher level spells, however, it is dangerous and requires an automatic Extraordinary Spell Failure roll before it is successfully cast. See Option 10.4 (in section 3.8) of Spell Law.

How does he cast the level 3 spell "Stunning": Stuns a target ? Based on what Skill ?
    See Section 4.0 (basic casting), 4.1 (non-attack spell casting), and 4.2 (attack spell casting) of Spell Law for details.

Basically a spell uses a D100 plus any modifiers..

See the tables here for the attack table and modifiers.

He also had the list "Communal Ways" and cast the level 1 spell "Guess". What skill do I use ?
    It's really the same skill. In older versions of RM it was called Base Spells, and the skill itself could not be developed, it was just your Stat bonus (for the realm) and any level bonuses and that was it. I'm not seeing it called out specifically in RMC, but I only did a quick look, and I could have missed it.

Yeah !!!!! I got it. I was tying to make things more complicated as they are.
    Many thanks for your help.

Sulimo has covered all of the Rolemaster rules for Spells and Base Spells but in FGU the Base Spell Attack is slightly different to nearly all the other skills (Ambush is another one that doesn't follow the general rules).

Take a look at the videos in the Forum sticky. One of them (rolling up a Mage if my memory serves me) shows you how to create the Base Attack Skill (as it's not in the skills list) and how this links to the combat tracker.

Regards - Rainbird
    Last edited by Rainbird; November 10th, 2022 at 22:46.

Hi,
    Here I am again.
    I just wanted a confirmation.
    IN FGU, when a caster uses a spell, the PP aren't automagically subtracted from the amount of remaining PP ?
    It would have been cool to add all spells that could be launched by a caster to the combat section (or separate one) to be used and subtracted from de current PP amount.
    Thanks

Hi,
    Here I am again.
    I just wanted a confirmation.
    IN FGU, when a caster uses a spell, the PP aren't automagically subtracted from the amount of remaining PP ?
    It would have been cool to add all spells that could be launched by a caster to the combat section (or separate one) to be used and subtracted from de current PP amount.
    Thanks
    Yes, that's correct. PP (and Adders) need manual adjustment by the PC/GM.

Personally, I'd rather not have another 'tracker' for something as simple as PPs. Gawd knows how long that would take Dakadin to do...

My 2p worth.

Rainbird

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbird View Post
    Yes, that's correct. PP (and Adders) need manual adjustment by the PC/GM.

Personally, I'd rather not have another 'tracker' for something as simple as PPs. Gawd knows how long that would take Dakadin to do...

My 2p worth.

Rainbird
    Thanks for your answer.
    Regards

Another reason to handle PPs manually is that there are optional rules that allow a spellcaster to put more PPs into the spell than the level itself. Because of this kind of flexibility (which I totally love) the automation would blow up in size and complexity.

We don't want Dakadin to pop a fuse before he finishes his spit and polish job on the current version, right?

Regards,
    Rajek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RajekPlathmos View Post
    Another reason to handle PPs manually is that there are optional rules that allow a spellcaster to put more PPs into the spell than the level itself. Because of this kind of flexibility (which I totally love) the automation would blow up in size and complexity.
    Interesting ... could you share these optional rules or say where they are located. I quite like the sound of that.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Interesting ... could you share these optional rules or say where they are located. I quite like the sound of that.
    EDIT: Never mind, I was thinking overcasting higher level spells. I am not aware of using extra Power Points to case a spell, might be from one of the companions.

I do see undercasting (using fewer PPs for a spell than usually required), in RoCo IV.

It's in Spell Law Section 3.8, it's option 10.4, page 35 of the PDF if you have that.

Last edited by Sulimo; February 3rd, 2023 at 05:32.

Thread Information