FG Spreadshirt Swag

Secret Checks help

I have the Dice Tower enabled on all my games. But my players have asked if there is a way to make a secret Perception check button. One of them is disabled and sometimes has trouble dragging every search Perception to the Dice Tower.
    It'd be cool if a secret Perception button could be added to the request list for the front of the character sheet. But in the meantime, is there a command to make a custom button that will make rolls GM-only that will roll Perception skill?

There's nothing specific to do this.

Release 19 will respect the "secret" trait and automatically roll in the dice tower.

In the future I'm planning on adding some more desktop control which can be selected before rolling, but that's a bit of a way off. In the meantime something like this would have to be done via an extension.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Oh. Automatically rolling in the tower sounds perfect. I'm so excited for v19.

When using the dice tower the players can see a dice show up in the chat window. Is there a way to cut this off? Some creature attacks can cause diseases and poisons that go through stages on a successful hit and I cant seem to figure out how to cut that off.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGM View Post
    When using the dice tower the players can see a dice show up in the chat window. Is there a way to cut this off?
    Is it a shadow dice or an actual dice? If a shadow dice, then there isn't a way to stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGM View Post
    Some creature attacks can cause diseases and poisons that go through stages on a successful hit and I cant seem to figure out how to cut that off.
    I'm not sure what you're asking here?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I think what Ultimate is saying is that if there is a mystery extra die roll associated with an attack, that could clue in the PCs that they've been exposed to a disease, which can lead to metagaming.

It's something I've encountered running games in person, before. "Uh oh, the GM rolled extra dice after that attack, suddenly my character feels like getting a check up at the hospital". XD

One solution used by some GMs is to roll mystery dice more often.

The dice don't have to have any meaning whatsoever--just an animation in the chat and some noise--but the players won't know that. And even if they start to realize not every die roll matters, they won't know which rolls do matter.

Pretty soon you'll be nursing a small herd of nervous, skittish adventurers, scared of shadows and sounds and the potential behind both.

Yes, like MaxAstro said unfortunately some of my players as well as my Cleric knows as soon as an attack lands and I roll a secret check they want to check to see if they are poisoned or diseased. Now most poisons take immediate effect with some form of damage or effect or both occurring so it's a bit harder to hide those and most players would know that they feel sick. But some disease have an onset where the first stage might be carrier. When they use recall knowledge on creatures depending on what they ask I might clue them in on a creature that can disease or poison them especially if they roll a critical success. But yes it is just the shadow. I have thought about just rolling 20 or so 20 sided die rolls and write them down so I can just apply modifiers later on. That way they will never know whats going on until they start feeling ill or strange. I did this at the table a lot that way players have no clue unless they check after a battle.

If you just want to roll a d20 that doesn't show a shadow then pick up the d20 from the desktop and throw it on the desktop, not in the chat window. You'll see the dice for a couple of seconds after landing before it disappears so you know the result of the roll. The downside is that none of the PC modifiers etc. are applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If you just want to roll a d20 that doesn't show a shadow then pick up the d20 from the desktop and throw it on the desktop, not in the chat window. You'll see the dice for a couple of seconds after landing before it disappears so you know the result of the roll. The downside is that none of the PC modifiers etc. are applied.
    Yea, I never thought of that but it sounds like a better alternative.

Thread Information