Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    Helker, If I were you I'd examine the notion that as DM you have to pay the way for all your players. You already do lots of work to supply them with a setting etc... they can poney up a couple of bucks for a client license at least.
    That's all well and good, but if you want to convince new players to use FGII, or want to game with your existing group, you more often than not have to fork out on the licenses as GM. I did, thankfully the dollar/sterling rate was favourable so I got the bundle for around the price of a new PC game (though not as favourable as at present).

The whole license aspect here would be made a lot simpler if you had the ability to register a number of lite licenses with the full licensed product. Then, if an unlicensed player connects, they would temporarily use one of these registered licenses. This way you could accommodate players that have FGII already, and a number of those who want to give it a go before buying equal to the number of additional licenses registered by the GM. Not all players are ready to fork out even £10 without trying first. I know there's the demo, but as a GM you can't give a good representation of what FGII can really do on the demo - only go through the basics. Sometimes this is enough, sometimes not.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    Except that you aren't in control of the licenses. They are on player machines and you need player cooperation and honour to have them deinstall on their machine so you can redeploy that license.
    Heh, well, no... hence the *wanting* to stay in control of the licences But indeed, there's no better way to keep people honest than letting them pay for their own license.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian
    The whole license aspect here would be made a lot simpler if you had the ability to register a number of lite licenses with the full licensed product. Then, if an unlicensed player connects, they would temporarily use one of these registered licenses. This way you could accommodate players that have FGII already, and a number of those who want to give it a go before buying equal to the number of additional licenses registered by the GM. Not all players are ready to fork out even £10 without trying first. I know there's the demo, but as a GM you can't give a good representation of what FGII can really do on the demo - only go through the basics. Sometimes this is enough, sometimes not.
    That is a good idea, I for one would buy a GM and floating licence for that very reason... I know it has been discussed before, I think the consensus was that it was hard to code and the devs were focusing on other areas at the moment.
    All things in life are questions of balance/or timing.

As I've mentioned before, as this fits in with the current licensing structure, it shouldn't be too difficult to add in to the existing code.

e.g. (pseudocode of login additions)
    Code:
    IF player is licensed THEN
       allow connection
    ELSE IF player is unlicensed THEN
       check full version license store for available number of lite licenses
       IF license is available THEN 
          temporarily assign license to incoming player connection
          allow connection
       OTHERWISE
          refuse connection
       END IF
    OTHERWISE 
       refuse connection
    END IF
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Thread Information