STAR TREK 2d20

Sneaking up in the dark?

Hi - Does anyone know a way to allow PCs with nightvision to see NPCs in the dark without the non-nightvision players being able to see them?

I can get this to work in a dungeon setting by using the mask visibility function on the PCs and NPCs but when they are out in the open and the Half-elf has night-vision he should be able to 'see in the dark via starlight' where the others are limited by the radius of the lamp/fire/candle etc. So, he can see NPCs when the others can't.

Currently the mask function is a 'everyone' or 'no-one' option, anyone know a work-around?

Ta Rainbird

Thanks, elyshh.

I have found a work-around. If the elf/half-elf has night-vision effect added and I add a darkness effect to each of the npcs I want to hide (in the darkness). Hey presto, only the elven pc can see the npcs lurking in the darkness.

Rainbird

I've asked myself this when doing vision and lighting checks, not just in the Rolemaster but in other rule sets, and I've always thought that humans or beings devoid of sight shouldn't see at night or in the dark. To solve this I use the effect that limits the radius of vision. Putting 10 feet for the sightless. Darkvision 50 and Nightvision 100. So I think there should be either "normal" vision or even if you don't have anything, you only see the range of the charged light, when the subject is lack of light or night...

Effect: VISMAX: {range} for "Normal" vision?

Does the Always Sensitive extension still work?
    I ask because I believe it would solve the problems of vision and ambient lighting...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YAKO SOMEDAKY View Post
    Effect: VISMAX: {range} for "Normal" vision?
    That's what I use. Also seems to help improve FGU performance but that might just be my imagination.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

So we're imagining the same! Because for me with my old PCs, it seems to be more fluid...
    And as far as the extension I asked it seems to meet the needs.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I was unaware (or just plain forgot it...) of the VISMAX effect. I'll give it a go but it sounds like the answer and better than my darkness effect work-around.

Regards,

Rainbird

Thread Information