STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Manual Dice Rolls no longer show dice animation

It looks like the manual dice rolls no longer show animations when you manually set dice to specific number. Also can you make the default for a manually set roll be 1 instead of 0? If you accidentally click the button for a manual roll it shows a 0 when you do that. I'd much prefer it to have a result of 1 when that happens instead of a 0, either that or have it default to a normal roll if set to 0.

I'm not sure what you mean by a manual dice roll. If you mean rolling something like 1d5 then that never actually rolled a dice since there's no such thing as a d5. The d0 is there for specific purposes where you want a result of zero so that specific modifiers can apply.

And welcome to the forums.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I believe they are talking about fudging rolls. As it currently stands with the new effects system, we cannot hide a GM's roll without hiding the die and the effects on the user side as well, showing only the shadows in that case. Fudge rolls are always hidden from players (Otherwise they'd notice). As for setting the default for a manual roll, I think, but I might be wrong, that the manual rolls run through the ruleset, so it might be able to be adjusted with a simple extension, but I'm not certain for sure.

Sorry, I was using the wrong terminology. When you turn on the option for Manual Dice rolls. I think it used to be called a Faux roll, which is gone now. When you click the roll button it does a normal roll. When you click the OK button it doesn't do the dice animation anymore. It just displays the result, which makes the manual dice entry pointless as the players don't get the illusion that a roll was made. With the Faux roll players used to see the animation so it looked like a roll was made to them. They don't see that anymore.

Capture.PNG
    Last edited by PantherRush; October 27th, 2022 at 22:34.

Ah, sorry I was along a completely wrong path. I can't remember but I'm not sure if the dice ever rolled when you entered a fixed result into the dice roller because it wasn't possible to make the dice land on the correct number that was entered. Maybe that depended on whether you had show DM rolls set to on or not.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The faux roll was specifically disabled unless the option to hide GM dice rolls is set to On. There is never was a way to "fudge" the dice simulation to land on a specific number; so now that GM rolls are fully visible when not hidden, the feature is disabled unless GM rolls are set to not visible.

Regards,
    JPG

This!
    It 100% was a feature and I'm very upset that it was removed.
    The manual entry dice did have a rolling animation and sound, but the result was the one the GM put in.
    Could we have this feature back please?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The faux roll was specifically disabled unless the option to hide GM dice rolls is set to On. There is never was a way to "fudge" the dice simulation to land on a specific number; so now that GM rolls are fully visible when not hidden, the feature is disabled unless GM rolls are set to not visible.

Regards,
    JPG
    I revisited this after the above post and I'm not sure that it is working as intended. I see that when show DM rolls is set to on, and manual entry is also on, the dice rolls are not shown to players because of course the players would see the dice roll and then know that it hasn't landed on the same result as shown in chat (except very occasionally when the two would coincide). However in the case where show DM rolls are off then I don't see any reason to suppress the shadow dice roll shown to players since all they'll see are the dice rolling and won't know what the actual dice landed on.

So has the suppression of the dice rolls when DM rolls are off been suppressed too much? Or is it the case that because of the new dice mechanism having the shadow dice show to players is overly complicated?

I remember this feature working as following - if the GM rolls are not hidden, it will roll a die and then no matter what is rolled on the virtual die it will display in the chat the entered number as the faux roll. The players don't usually look at the numbers on the dice and "trust" the chat more, so they usually disregard the animations result thinking that the roll animation is done on client side and the roll calculation is done on the host side (In my case, but there could be many different explanations i can think of).
    This allows for the DM not to hide the rolls they want to fudge kind of creating a smoother experience.
    I like the mechanism of showing the shadow dice to players it adds weight to each roll.
    Of course, the perfect mechanism of a faux roll feature would be something like setting the value of the next roll with a specific animation, but this was pretty decent.

With FGU, the dice are mirrored, so there is no difference between what is shown on player or GM client for dice text. This was not the case in FGC where independent simulations would sometimes resolve differently (probably due to rounding errors in initial start conditions).

Thus, in FGU, it is very obvious when overriding the dice value, when GM rolls are shown because the players can now see the actual dice and die text.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information