FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Okay, Moon Wizard and I discussed this some more. We have a feature called LOS peek-through that we originally designed as an attempt to solve this. We rolled it back all the way in February 2021, but we never revisited the issue. You can test it as the GM and look how it would impact the player view. If you do this, please note that your setting doesn't currently update the view across the network that your players would actually see. For that to work, we would need to update the network messaging and maybe some other stuff. Long term, the best solution would be to have a setting per map and this would require a greater development effort and also probably production work on DLC.

Code:
    /lospeek 0
    /lospeek 10
    /lospeek 20
    /lospeek 50
    These commands would set it off, at 10% of a grid space, 20% of a grid space, and 50% of a grid space, respectively. Once you turn it on, you should also right-click on a player token and choose Reset FOW and Reset LOS.

Potential Issues:
    1. It may reveal the existance or contents of rooms on the other side of thin walls
    2. it may reveal secret areas on the other side of thin walls
    3. it has a fish-eye like experience for the active player token as you move around. The FOW will mostly look fine after you leave an area
    4. it may have unintended reveals for maps where a line was drawn in the middle of a wall already

There are probably other issues as well. We have it marked as experimental for this reason.

There are a lot of maps where I really like how the feature looks. There are some other maps where it breaks things. Try it out and let us know what you think. If you see specific map or images where you think it looks good or bad, feel free to post screen clips from there and share your thoughts.
    Last edited by ddavison; November 2nd, 2022 at 19:49.

In my case, it's Age of Ashes. The buildings' walls are often just black, so that's fair enough, but there's plenty of caves with stone after a black outline.

I'll experiment with the peek-through once an appropriate map comes up.
    A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, stab it in the back.

Very interesting. I'd not recommend 50 but the 10 and 20 produce very good results where the walls are thick enough (that's on the basis that the grid is 50px). It seems that /lospeek 0 switches the feature off. Am I right on that?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Very interesting. I'd not recommend 50 but the 10 and 20 produce very good results where the walls are thick enough (that's on the basis that the grid is 50px). It seems that /lospeek 0 switches the feature off. Am I right on that?
    Yes, 10 seems to work even for relatively thin walls. A setting of 0 effectively shuts it off. I updated the post above to include that option.

Yes, that’s correct. The number is the percentage of a grid square that the occluder points are offset from the token.

In my very limited testing, even 20 will reveal extra information if two squares adjacent and separated by thin wall. Trying it at 10 was about the maximum that worked in most cases; but it doesn’t reveal much either.

One of my concerns is that how peek through is managed, since all maps built since FGU releases use the 0 peek through assumption.

JPG

@Zacchaeus,

Plus knowing how many maps you’ve done, I didn’t want any change to require updates to all those maps….

JPG

Just to clarify, since Doug and I were discussing some more about the nuances.

Our LoS guidelines were originally put together assuming some level of peek through (i.e. occluders to follow wall edges). Many of the LoS definitions built for modules (including 5E) use these guidelines, so should work with minimal peek through settings. However, all the reviewing and testing of how LoS looked to make sure it was working and displaying as expected has been done with zero peek through (actual application behavior).

So, while the peek through may work with many/most maps; none of the LoS on current map definitions was tested with peek through greater than zero.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    @Zacchaeus,

Plus knowing how many maps you’ve done, I didn’t want any change to require updates to all those maps….

JPG
    I'd echo that sentiment
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Gonna try this out when I get home tonight.
    Again, thanks so much for the quick response to this issue, guys.

Hey. This is a lot better now. Thanks a lot Doug, Moon Wizard, Zacch, and SW gang.

Thread Information