STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 9 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: OSRIC Ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by indavis View Post
    Question. I am trying to make a campaign using the OSRIC ruleset. When I go to generate a character all of the Ability Scores are preset to 9. Is there a reason for this? Do I need to load the Ability Scores, then the Race and then the Class? I will be dm'ing for a couple of people who have never really played rpg's before and I am trying to go through the motions as they would so I can get an idea of how it is going to be on their end. I have the OSRIC ruleset and content linked in this thread loaded. I do not have any official DnD rulesets as of yet. (Still trying to decide between the ADnD and the 5E). I have my old ADnD book so I am leaning that way, and have downloaded the OSRIC 2nd edition core rules. Are there any videos out there so I can see if I am headed in the right direction?
    Sorry for the delay. The "9" for all stats is simply reasonable (average) defaults that come from deeper in FG rulesets. There's no auto-generation of stats. I suppose that there could be, but that's not what happens now. You have to roll for the stats and assign them.

As far as videos go, I'm not sure of a good one for character creation for this ruleset and any it has been derived from. I want to make a couple, but I'm suffering some personal resistance against doing so

If you want, you can hit me up on the Discord and I can walk you through the way I handle it and whatever else.

I replied with a DM about discord. This is good to hear about the values just being defaults. I was doing some more work with character creation last night and just setting up a 3d6 roll so I could go in and fill out a new character. My plan is to get my friends to log on and create their characters and get a little familiar with the skills and such, and maybe give them a set amount of gp to go and get some supplies like their weapons, armor and some basic adventuring supplies like torches and maybe a backpack. Things like that. Then I will run them through a quick homebrew campaign I am working on. Trying to make all the maps and come up with a story. I don't want to get too heavy at first but don't want them bored. Only one other person has rpg experience so this will be a trial run to see if the others will like having this as one of our gaming options.

The fact that I can get them a copy of the OSRIC rulebook, and then share them a copy of the Players Handbook in game is a real bonus. My conundrum before finding this set of rules was that I have all my old ADnD books so I was looking at the books and rules for that, and I have considered buying the new 5E books, and now re-considered buying them through FG. But it's quite the investment and even though I have this great new tool to play, that doesn't automatically make people want to play with you. I will chat with you on discord and maybe I can get something hammered out using FG that will get my friends a little more excited about playing.

Quote Originally Posted by indavis View Post
    I replied with a DM about discord. This is good to hear about the values just being defaults. I was doing some more work with character creation last night and just setting up a 3d6 roll so I could go in and fill out a new character. My plan is to get my friends to log on and create their characters and get a little familiar with the skills and such, and maybe give them a set amount of gp to go and get some supplies like their weapons, armor and some basic adventuring supplies like torches and maybe a backpack. Things like that. Then I will run them through a quick homebrew campaign I am working on. Trying to make all the maps and come up with a story. I don't want to get too heavy at first but don't want them bored. Only one other person has rpg experience so this will be a trial run to see if the others will like having this as one of our gaming options.

The fact that I can get them a copy of the OSRIC rulebook, and then share them a copy of the Players Handbook in game is a real bonus. My conundrum before finding this set of rules was that I have all my old ADnD books so I was looking at the books and rules for that, and I have considered buying the new 5E books, and now re-considered buying them through FG. But it's quite the investment and even though I have this great new tool to play, that doesn't automatically make people want to play with you. I will chat with you on discord and maybe I can get something hammered out using FG that will get my friends a little more excited about playing.
    Yeah, new people can pick this up with relative ease, but you will need to teach them some things. I'll respond to your PM. The dnd_2e_classic channel on Discord is the place to be for this unless and until they create an OSRIC channel (which I haven't asked for or anything)

I've been checking out how this works in FGU with one of the official ADND1e modules and I noticed that if you drag weapon damage onto the monster in combat tracker, an error appears in the console:
    [12/27/2022 11:49:46 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "OSRIC:..pts/manager_action_damage_osric.lua"]:688: attempt to compare number with nil
    Is that because of some incompatibility with the module? The better question is can it be fixed?

Oops, mistook the question entirely
    Last edited by EOTB; December 30th, 2022 at 11:36.

Quote Originally Posted by makronax View Post
    I've been checking out how this works in FGU with one of the official ADND1e modules and I noticed that if you drag weapon damage onto the monster in combat tracker, an error appears in the console:

Is that because of some incompatibility with the module? The better question is can it be fixed?
    Sorry, I've been a bit away. I'll try to reproduce this and see what's up. Chances are, it may already be fixed in some changes that I have yet to push out. Thanks for letting me know. I'll get back with you shortly.

This should be resolved now. It was happening when dragging/dropping the damage from PC to NPC and not the other way around, for me. Also, released some other general fixes with this. Just took my latest code and put it out there. If you find any issues, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsword View Post
    This should be resolved now. It was happening when dragging/dropping the damage from PC to NPC and not the other way around, for me. Also, released some other general fixes with this. Just took my latest code and put it out there. If you find any issues, let me know.
    Great, looks like it's working fine now. Thanks!

We've got into the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh module (two sessions) and in both sessions at some point the combat tracker stopped accepting the encounter links (I'm pretty sure it did at start). When I drag the encounter link or the monster link into it, I see the following message:
    [1/8/2023 10:24:50 PM] s'cta_combatants_host.lua' | s'onDrop' | s'draginfo' | databasenode = { reference.npcdata.id-00008@U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh }
    [1/8/2023 10:24:50 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "OSRIC:scripts/manager_utility_osric.lua"]:13: attempt to index local 'sName' (a nil value)
    I've tried removing the party from it but it doesn't help. Thankfully, restarting the gameplay session fixes this.

We've got into the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh module (two sessions) and in both sessions at some point the combat tracker stopped accepting the encounter links (I'm pretty sure it did at start). When I drag the encounter link or the monster link into it, I see the following message:

I've tried removing the party from it but it doesn't help. Thankfully, restarting the gameplay session fixes this.
    Unfortunate that you had to restart but at least that did work. Sorry about that. I'll look into it and get back with you shortly. Seems to be related to drag/drop conversion of monsters from 2E versions to OSRIC versions. Looks like the NPC's name is non-existent or something. I don't have U1, but I'll grab it if necessary. Thanks for the report.

Thread Information