STAR TREK 2d20

List of updates through time for a module?

Greetings everyone,

Young padawan in FGU here, seeking knowledge!

Question: is there a place somwhere or a way to find out all the updates made to a classic module over time since its release?

What i'm looking for is a way to see the rate of a specific module is updated/maintened, which will help me choose the ones i'll use for my first FGU campaign.

Short DM story: i spent 1 year and a half preparing a Lendore Isles campaign (Base L1, L2, L4, L5 and other customized non-Len classics) in pen and papers mode, it's ready but i have trouble finding people in my city so i decided to give the online method a go but in no way i'm going to transcribe everything so i'm leaning for modules similar to my work. I therefore need modules recreated as fully as possible. I'm a details devorer, much like Lakofka was.

Thanks you!

Welcome to the forums.

Adventure modules are ready to play out the box. In other words everything is there ready to use and you don't have to do anything. It replicates whatever was in the paper version of the book. Updates would only be needed to fix any errors that are present in the module, these would mainly be typos or something that isn't quite right with an NPC stat block or similar. In other words corrections rather than updates. If the publisher released any errata for the module that would get updated as well.

None of this stops you from editing the module yourself inside a campaign. So if you wanted to add material, takes something away or just change existing things then you can do that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the answer.

But as the "everything is there ready to use" it's usually true for most DM i guess but my type of play is really open so for example i need all named NPC with a class to have his details integrated in the system to fully use it. Thus, many module i've already perused and wanted to use are not "ready to use" for my method of play.

For example i bought the L1 secret of bone hill module because it's my starting place in my pen and papers campaign and i realize that there's a lot of NPC in the village which are not coded. Only the Baron is iirc! There's nothing for Peltar (a 9 level mage, the most powerful M-U around Restenford and even Lac Farmin of L2), Qualton (highest priest of Phaulkon in the church) and many more npc with classes and level.

Yes, as i said, i'm very on the details side.

One option would be to effectively update the modules in place but it will be a LOT of work, which i have already done in pen & papers, my motivation is not reallt there and i would not survive losing an ounce of data via a platform bug or update. If i'm going to do it i need to be 100% sure i'll never lose anything and go upward. Heck, i might even try to convert the L4 and L5 modules if Dragonsfoot allows it (i use them in my campaign).

I don't have any of these modules so I can't speak to what the developer has done. Generally NPCs that don't have any direct confrontation with he players (like a quest giver, shopkeeper etc) don't need an actual stat block. If these are misiing and are required then I'd create a bug report so that the developer can make corrections.

If you edit anything in a campaign (such as add something new, or make a copy of an existing entry and edit the copy, or add text to an existing story entry) then those will always be there in your campaign even if the module gets updated. In other words you can't lose data (unless of course you delete your campaign).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    If you edit anything in a campaign (such as add something new, or make a copy of an existing entry and edit the copy, or add text to an existing story entry) then those will always be there in your campaign even if the module gets updated. In other words you can't lose data (unless of course you delete your campaign).
    I like this!

Now if i was to be extra safe, is there anything else to backup apart my campaign folder in case for example my hd dies or anything?

So far from what i've read all custom content is it that folder but are settings/layout also? (sorry for the side question)

Quote Originally Posted by Drexlorn View Post
    I like this!

Now if i was to be extra safe, is there anything else to backup apart my campaign folder in case for example my hd dies or anything?

So far from what i've read all custom content is it that folder but are settings/layout also? (sorry for the side question)
    Each campaign you create is unique; and everything that you do in that campaign is saved in it. So, yes, options, modules open, extensions used, theme used, edits made; are all saved inside the folder with the campaign name. And yes, if you don't back up that folder and you lose it for whatever reason it will be gone forever. The only other things you would want to back up (for the same reason) would be unique images and tokens that you have obtained or created in some other tool. Also you'll want to back up any modules that you create yourself; modules you purchase from the store will get re-installed if you ever change your computer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexlorn View Post
    But as the "everything is there ready to use" it's usually true for most DM i guess but my type of play is really open so for example i need all named NPC with a class to have his details integrated in the system to fully use it. Thus, many module i've already perused and wanted to use are not "ready to use" for my method of play.

For example i bought the L1 secret of bone hill module because it's my starting place in my pen and papers campaign and i realize that there's a lot of NPC in the village which are not coded. Only the Baron is iirc! There's nothing for Peltar (a 9 level mage, the most powerful M-U around Restenford and even Lac Farmin of L2), Qualton (highest priest of Phaulkon in the church) and many more npc with classes and level.
    You can find the points you have issues with and submit a request they be updated (if the characters are actually detailed in the adventure) to support. If they are not you can have a local work up of your own as Zach suggested.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information