FG Spreadshirt Swag

Conditional critical damage dice

Is there any way to have different critical dice on a weapon based on a condition? For instance, the artifact weapon Whelm does +3d6 on a crit but +3d10 if the creature is large or larger. It would be awesome if it was automated but even a manual solution would be fine. I just can't think of a way to handle this without having a duplicate weapon and switching main weapon around.

My first thought would to be to create a trait for Whelm (in the wielder's Powers tab) with two different damage effects, one for each type of critical damage.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardK View Post
    My first thought would to be to create a trait for Whelm (in the wielder's Powers tab) with two different damage effects, one for each type of critical damage.
    To make sure I'm understanding, are you saying to put no crit damage on the weapon itself but add it as traits so whenever they roll a crit, they roll those dice manually? I hadn't considered that but probably wouldn't be too difficult to manage actually. And they wouldn't be likely to forget.

Yes, something like this. When a critical hit happens they can roll damage from their weapon attack power, and then separately roll the extra critical damage depending on the target.Whelm Critical Damage.jpg
    Last edited by edwardK; October 15th, 2022 at 00:46. Reason: Forgot to attach image

I thought something like this would work, but it seems bugged as it always maximizes one of the three extra critical dice.

whelm_crit.JPG

Thanks all for the suggestions. I eventually settled on a version of edwardK's suggestion. I set the critical dice on the weapon as 3d6 and then added a trait in the powers tab to roll 3d4 damage. This is manual but the player is happy with it so it works for us.

I figured out a workaround to the maximized dice issue, by adding an extra dice and then cancelling it out with a flat modifier.

whelm_crit_2.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by skelekon View Post
    I figured out a workaround to the maximized dice issue, by adding an extra dice and then cancelling it out with a flat modifier.

whelm_crit_2.JPG
    That's interesting. Do you know why that only maximizes the last die? It's not what I'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wink182 View Post
    That's interesting. Do you know why that only maximizes the last die? It's not what I'd expect.
    No I've reported it as a bug in House of Healing.

Thread Information