5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Beta Release v4.3: Worse Line-of-Sight performance in some situations

I observed that line-of-sight performance seems to be worse on v4.3.0 vs v4.2.2 in at least one situation. In this specific case I moved a token around a room in a specific path with token lock - in v4.2.2 the token moves around the room at the expected pace with no lag, but on v4.3 the token moves very slowly and skips a bit.

To recreate in a new 5E campaign with no extensions:
    1. Load the Tomb of Annihilation module and open "Player Map - Rotten Halls"
    2. Create a PC and add to the combat tracker. The PC is completely empty except for a name and portrait.
    3. Drop the token on the map here: Path.JPG
    4. Enable Player Vision Preview
    5. Note that Line-of-sight is enabled for the map. Lighting is disabled.
    6. Enter the movement path shown in the screenshot (using ALT to use token lock movement as GM): Path.JPG
    7. Approve the movement

Depending on which version you're on, in step 7 the token will either move as expected (v4.2.2) or really slow (v4.3).
    Attached Images Attached Images

FoW in 4.3 is now disabled by default. Do you also see this if you enable it?

Yes, I see the same with or without FoW enabled, however it's slightly slower if it is enabled.

Here's how long it took the planned movement (from OP) to complete in each:
    • v4.3 FoW Enabled/PC: ~6 seconds
    • v4.3 FoW Disabled: ~5 seconds
    • v4.2.2: ~2.5 seconds

I've sent moon wizard my 5E BIG test campaign I use to stress test my extensions. Without any extensions its unusable in TEST - while usable in LIVE.

I have a ton of NPCs (varying factions and owned by my test client - as I have extensions this is designed to run with and test dealing with players running NPCs for me and limiting their client views) on a map with lots of interesting LOS. Hopefully it helps them find it. If anyone else wants to use the BIG test map here is the LIVE version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SilentRuin; October 3rd, 2022 at 04:18.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Thanks for reporting. I’ve forwarded this thread to @cpinder.

Regards,
    JPG

FYI, I tried this again on the latest TEST build (2022-10-14) and it seems the Line of Sight performance has gotten worse (at least in the test case from OP). The planned movement (here) now takes about 11 seconds to complete.

It should be the same as v4.2.3. Are you seeing a big difference between v4.2.3 and v4.3.0 on the same map?

Note, this was reverted this morning to use the old method; since the new algorithm that @cpinder was looking at did not perform up to our expectations.

Regards,
    JPG

Yes, a pretty significant difference actually:
    • In v4.2.3: the movement path (OP) takes about 2.5 seconds to complete
    • In v4.3.0: the movement path (OP) takes about 10 seconds to complete

Even just opening the map Rotten Halls from the Tomb of Annihilation module in a new 5E campaign on v4.3.0 (no tokens on map) makes the entire program slow down significantly. Turning off Line-of-sight (or closing the image) seems to resolve the slowness.

On v4.3.0 with today's updates.

Thanks. I’ve bumped to @cpinder who is working on that code.

JPG

@cpinder just gave me a new set of code files that should help with this.

Can you update and let me know what you find?

Thanks,
    JPG

Thread Information