FG Spreadshirt Swag

Player Dice Color Always Black when PC first opened

FGU Standard -> Client -> Dice / Pointer Color always set to Black (default)

This came up in my game last night using the latest 5E ruleset. It may have something to do with changes involving preparing for the new dice feature.

When a client logs into the server in either LAN local host or connects using the GM name and selects a server character, the client auto opens the character sheet but the dice and pointer is always black instead of the previously set dice / pointer color.

During testing today with no extensions I discovered that it's only that initial auto open of the character sheet where this happens and if the character sheet is closed and re-opened the black default value is replace by the previously set color.

To recreate, start a new 5E campaign with no extensions as host. Start a second instance of FGU and log into the host as a player. Create two characters, I called mine Red and Blue, as a player. Set the dice / pointer colors for the new characters, ie Red for Red and Blue for Blue. Release both players on the client. Go into character selection and select one of the characters, ie Blue. When that character sheet opens notice the dice / pointer color is back to Black. Close the character sheet and re-open it and notice how the dice color changes to the previous set color (blue in my example).

Close the character sheet and release the character. Then select both characters again. When they are loaded notice both characters dice / pointer colors are black again. Close the character sheets again, and instead of re-opening the character sheets - toggle the active PC back and forth making a different PC active. Notice how Black changes to the previously set colors.

The main reason this issue is annoying is if you just leave the character open without closing and re-opening and set dice colors to something other than black it appears that your dice / pointer color is always being reset to Black.

Good Day Griogre
    Yay! Our group is not the only one seeing this problem! You articulated it much better than I did in my post, Thank You!
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...rting-to-black

I'm not seeing this on my machine. (See video. I tried both closing FG completely, as well as just returning to launcher.)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nv4...ew?usp=sharing

There are a couple reasons why I could see this failing:
    * Running old ruleset code, or overriding extension code. (Make sure no ruleset subfolders in FG data folder, and remove all extensions.)
    * Cache data isn't being saved, since color choice is in cache data. (Try deleting cache for that campaign; and letting FG rebuild it. If still an issue, make sure cache is getting created, which can fail based on permissions.)

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkon View Post
    Good Day Griogre
    Yay! Our group is not the only one seeing this problem! You articulated it much better than I did in my post, Thank You!
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...rting-to-black
    I could have sworn I saw your post earlier, but I couldn't find it - but that was because I originally tried to post in the *Forge* House of Healing instead of here...

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I'm not seeing this on my machine. (See video. I tried both closing FG completely, as well as just returning to launcher.)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nv4...ew?usp=sharing

There are a couple reasons why I could see this failing:
    * Running old ruleset code, or overriding extension code. (Make sure no ruleset subfolders in FG data folder, and remove all extensions.)
    * Cache data isn't being saved, since color choice is in cache data. (Try deleting cache for that campaign; and letting FG rebuild it. If still an issue, make sure cache is getting created, which can fail based on permissions.)

Regards,
    JPG
    I have a game later today. I'll see if I can make a video of the steps after it. I asked for access to the shared video to see what you are doing.

Sorry, it was supposed to be public. Should be fixed now.

JPG

Good Day Moon Wizard
    After watching your video I did notice the die color on the char pic remained black even though your dice color changed. Not sure if that is another thing somehow connected to out issue?

I just followed your video, if I knew how to make one I would post it here, but I am still seeing the same problem. When the dice color is changed, I log out and log back in, and the dice are all black until I click the char pic in the upper left corner.
    Last edited by Bonkon; October 3rd, 2022 at 19:21. Reason: Added info

We saw this last night in our PF2 game as well.

I can reproduce this. At first I thought I'd caught the problem because in his original post Griogre mentions that he released the characters before logging out. However when I tested it out it didn't matter whether the characters were released or not, when the second client logged on and a character was selected the dice immediately changed to the correct colour. Then I watched Moon Wizard's video and realized that he was on the TEST channel and that made me realize that so was I. So I reverted to the LIVE channel and I can indeed reproduce the issue. Whether or not the character is released the dice colour stays at black until the character sheet is closed and then re-opened.

So, in short, the problem exists on LIVE but it has fixed itself on TEST.

So. I guess that Moon Wizard (like any good wizard would) foresaw the problem and fixed it before it was ever a problem
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information