FG Spreadshirt Swag

Players view threat range/reach of NPCs?

I think this is more of a core fantasy grounds question, but I didn't want it to come across as a 5e question, either. In our game last night, the distance multiplier was adjusted on a combat map, which kind of threw off gangup and such. From the GM's perspective, this made sense, as he could see the threat range/reach of all of the tokens (which scaled with the distance multiplier). For the players, however, it was weird seeing a gangup bonus from a token 2 squares away.

Is there any way to show the "reach" to players, like it does the GM? Maybe an extension that isn't 5e specific? It would be really helpful in these situations and I don't think I've ever seen an option or extension that does this.

I don't think reach is a big secret. If the players are fighting a large octopus, they probably know it has double the reach (if not more) by looking at it. Even in 5e, I never saw the point of keeping this from players.

There is no extension that does that, that I'm aware of. As you say, it's sort of a situation where the players may not know about the "reach", until it smacks them in the face.

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    There is no extension that does that, that I'm aware of. As you say, it's sort of a situation where the players may not know about the "reach", until it smacks them in the face.

JPG
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks, Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by wframe View Post
    I think this is more of a core fantasy grounds question, but I didn't want it to come across as a 5e question, either. In our game last night, the distance multiplier was adjusted on a combat map, which kind of threw off gangup and such. From the GM's perspective, this made sense, as he could see the threat range/reach of all of the tokens (which scaled with the distance multiplier). For the players, however, it was weird seeing a gangup bonus from a token 2 squares away.

Is there any way to show the "reach" to players, like it does the GM? Maybe an extension that isn't 5e specific? It would be really helpful in these situations and I don't think I've ever seen an option or extension that does this.

I don't think reach is a big secret. If the players are fighting a large octopus, they probably know it has double the reach (if not more) by looking at it. Even in 5e, I never saw the point of keeping this from players.
    Screenshot_20220918_222114.png

When you click on a token, the (in this case) circle shadow around the character is its reach. Any creature that is more or less entirely inside the shadow is within reach. The circle is achieved by using a hex grid on the map, otherwise it is a square.

For NPCs you can go into the sheet and edit Reach so the shadow gets bigger... not sure (I am tired) if you can do something similar with PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Screenshot_20220918_222114.png

When you click on a token, the (in this case) circle shadow around the character is its reach. Any creature that is more or less entirely inside the shadow is within reach. The circle is achieved by using a hex grid on the map, otherwise it is a square.

For NPCs you can go into the sheet and edit Reach so the shadow gets bigger... not sure (I am tired) if you can do something similar with PCs.
    But I think only the GM sees this, correct? We were not seeing this as players and when my GM shared his screen, I was seeing something like this.

I was basically asking if there was a way for players to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by wframe View Post
    But I think only the GM sees this, correct? We were not seeing this as players and when my GM shared his screen, I was seeing something like this.

I was basically asking if there was a way for players to see it.
    Players can click on their token and allies tokens and see the shadow. You probably have to enable Party Vision On in Options.

Thread Information