5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Help with character ownership and two instances

Hi all,

I've just gotten FGU a couple of days ago and am looking forward to running a tabletop game using a second monitor/TV in the future. Not sure it this relevant but I'm on an ultimate license.

So far everything is seriously cool and some of the automation makes me wish I was playing online. I really like the quick start guides, both the text ones and the video ones - super helpful.

I need help with one thing though. I've made a campaign and loaded up the Rime of the Frostmaiden module into it. I've made a couple of text characters and am trying out having on instance on my laptop (DM) and one on the TV (Player). Mostly things are working well - sharing maps, images etc. But I can't work out getting movement working.

When I join the campaign with the second instance it sets me up as a player. But when I select the character I want it doesn't let me add them to a combat tracker so I can put them on the map.

I can add them from the DM instance and they appear on the player instance. But then under the player instance I can plan a move but not commit to it. If I move them on the DM instance then it doesn't show how much they've moved, which is really helpful.

Am I missing something or is this just a limitation? Should I use the player instance to show the player where their character can go and then move them under the DM instance?

I've tried clearing ownership but when I claim it again it just goes back to the way it was. That said I may not have been doing that right.

Do I need to run the second instance under a different username and password? Is that even possible from the same laptop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also any suggest reading for advice on this kind of set up - I've found a bit online but not much.

Thanks for reading
    Tom

Welcome to FGU.

Generally clients (players) don’t own anything only the host (DM) does. Therefore only the DM can add characters to the combat tracker. Players can create characters and edit them, but have little other control.

Once you have placed the character in the combat tracker drag it from there into the map. Once the map is shared with the client the player will be able to see their token on the map and can move it. Depending on whether you have enabled token lock or not the DM will then have the option of approving the move by clicking on the green tick (token lock is the default state; you can unlock this by clicking on the token lock button on the top toolbar on the map image).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    To add, only the DM can add PCs or NPCs to the combat tracker and from there to the map. It's not the players who can do that. Don't forget, the DM then also needs to Share the map so the players can see it (and then if you are using lightning and vision on that map, the PCs need a light source or darkvision etc).

Once on the map, a PC token can be moved by the player. BUT, if Token lock is on for that map, then they can only "plan" their movement, and then it has to be "approved" by the DM. The DM can turn token locking off (and on) using the icon on the map toolbar.

Welcome, and let us know what other questions you have.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you both, that's just the advice I was looking for.

Thread Information