FG Spreadshirt Swag

How to approach minions using tokens and maps

[5e]

I have a battle coming up which will require the use of a lot of minions, I have a few thoughts on how to do this and could use some advice.

Ultimately, I want it to run with speed and can have an element of theatre-of-the-mind to it - but make use of some tokens and a map at stages.

I already have rules for minions (similar to mob combat), so this is purely about how I visualise it for my PCs.

Thoughts;

- I could have the Combat Tracker filled-up and add individual tokens to a map. Potentially cumbersome.
    - I could have one token that I enlarge or shrink based on the number of minions, maybe a few of them so that groups can split up
    - I can use the drawing tool to highlight the minion 'front-lines'
    - As a last resort, I could make it all theatre-of-the-mind and use the Combat Tracker for support

Has anyone previously tried something like this? Any recommendations?

I used tokens with various sizes to represent enemies that stick together. It was very elegant approach as less tokens and things in the Combat tracker.

Worked as fast as regular combat with decent size of enemies.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Blog Entries
    My approach is the same/similar to Valyar's. I think of them as swarms. Each CT entry and token represents 10-20 individuals or so. Given them a group of HP and reduce their size as they start to die off.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks, both. Reassured that you've tried this approach and it worked, so will give it a go!

The suggestions and options above are good and FREE!

For something published or The Strongholds and Followers content cover this type of combat. Squads. as such. There are also some third-party solutions too but paid.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...p?id=MCDM5ESAF

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/282...iate_id=353357
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Thanks for the recommendations.

I have the hardcover of S&F, but appreciate the other - will look into it!

Thread Information