DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Essential books to get started into AD&D 2e?

Hi people. How are you? My group and I are kind of done with 5e for now and we are looking to try out some other systems.

What do I need to get started with AD&D 2e? I'm assuming Dungeon Master, Players guide and Monsters Manual. But is that all? Because I took a look at the shop and there are a lot of other books, like Compendiums, Magic, etc.

Any advice on what should I get to have a really nice first experience?

Just while we are at it, how is the automation side of things on 2e? Does FGU handle it as well as it does 5e?

That's it, sorry to bring this annoying question up.

Cheers!

IMO, definitely start with DMG/PH/MM. You can add the other stuff once you're comfortable and it would probably be overwhelming at the start.

The 2E ruleset is fantastic and the automation is widely considered to be among the very best, if not the very best.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsword View Post
    IMO, definitely start with DMG/PH/MM. You can add the other stuff once you're comfortable and it would probably be overwhelming at the start.

The 2E ruleset is fantastic and the automation is widely considered to be among the very best, if not the very best.
    Ok! So the basics to start off. Thanks! Really excited to run 2e and learn about it. I did play a lot of BG and BG2 as a teen so I'm a bit familiar with thac0 and stuff. Of course is not the same as the ttrpg, but gotta start somewhere I guess.
    Any not advanced adventure available at the FG Store I can try to run as a beginner group?

If you and/or your players aren't familiar with it, Keep on the Borderlands is the only correct answer. While not originally written for 2e or AD&D, the version for 2e in the store is quite good and a perfect introduction to old-school-style play. Works very well in the ruleset, too.

Here's an FG 2e playthrough by the 2e ruleset's author: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2lRGz_qdHwv7bS

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of great adventures from the 2E era.

I especially like this one if your players are not familiar with the source material:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...?id=WOTC2EFRC2

Even if they are and if they are willing to play along, it could be a fun trip down nostalgia lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Chudstar View Post
    Ok! So the basics to start off. Thanks! Really excited to run 2e and learn about it. I did play a lot of BG and BG2 as a teen so I'm a bit familiar with thac0 and stuff. Of course is not the same as the ttrpg, but gotta start somewhere I guess.
    Any not advanced adventure available at the FG Store I can try to run as a beginner group?
    Haunted Halls of Evening Star is a good adventure for someone starting in AD&D (player or DM). Keep is another good starter. If you want something a little different but also for starting characters the Shattered Circle. You can see just about everything here.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/productbundle.php?bundleid=WOTC2EBUNDLE
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Kings Festival , is a great starter adventure it is a 1e game that was ported over to 2e rules.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...=WOTC2ETSR9260

Haunted Halls is pretty tough. JuJu Zombies and a portion of the dungeon was never populated by TSR. I'm not sure if the HH map was updated? When I ran it it was not.
    Last edited by bayne7400; September 13th, 2022 at 01:16.

Thank you all for your answers! I will get going with the PHB, MM and The Shattered Circle. Also watching the playthrough that Doomsword recommended on youtube to get familiar with running the system.

Thread Information