DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Updates and Broken Extensions

I decided to make this post after a discussion among my game group last week. We've been using FG for several years and we love the software. It allows our group of 30 years to continue to game together even though we are all in different states. That said, the one thing that causes my players and the group as a whole frustration is the frequency that updates break the extensions we've come to count on in our game. If we're feeling it, others must be as well; especially the extension developers.

I fully realize that we can run the game 'bare'. My players have suggested it. I thought about it. However, when I point out the extra functionality and overall play improvement we get from the extensions, that idea was quickly dropped. I honestly couldn't see using the software with out the enhancements that the extensions provide. We're extremely appreciative that developers such as bmos, darrenan, Kelrugem and a bunch of others, spend their own time maintaining their software. With every update though, I'm afraid to read that an extension is being dropped or not updated for sometime. Then comes the confusion of "to update or to not update". Then add to that the problem when one player accidentally clicks on that alluring 'check for updates' button, when we were intentionally holding off...

Now that we're past that long winded intro, my question is to the FG development team: will there be a point in time that major updates are annual or semi-annual? I understand the need to keep software current; I've been a professional web developer for 20 years and have also done a good deal of software support and resale. I know updates are a constant thing, but it seems that every couple months a major update comes out that significantly changes the core code, or at least enough so that a good number of extensions need to be reworked. I have not experienced that with any other platform. Not to the same degree, anyway.

I appreciate all the hard work the Dev team puts in to keep this a great platform and look forward to your reply.

Rob

We go through cycles where more updates need to be done than others. We are currently working on some performance cycles, which require restructuring code to work in faster and less intensive ways.

I provide notice 2-4 weeks in advance of every ruleset release, especially when there may be impact in extensions. We provide notice here on the forums as well as in our weekly developer newsletter. I even started going onto third party servers to provide notice for those groups that provide multiple extensions.

However, it is up to the extension developers to pay attention to those notes and to work with us to provide updates.

I suggest reaching out to the extension developers, and asking them to get on the developer newsletter mailing list as well as pay close attention to the Laboratory forum.

Unfortunately, we can’t stand still with the level of competition we have in this space.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Also be aware, it is on the GM/host that has to be good about not pressing Update when it comes to the Ruleset updates. Even if a player updates their rulesets, they actually d not use their own rulesets, they use the ones pushed from the GM. Core application updates are usually backwards compatible unless te minor revision changes.<br><br>Also worth considering, I run updates a week late myself. I let others be on the leading/bleeding edge

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

In the last weeks/months many of the ruleset updates were offloading ruleset code to CoreRPG. While those updates are/were happening, it is more work for everyone involved with extensions but it paves the way for the future.

I appreciate everyone's response.

@Moon Wizard - I absolutely understand the need for continuous improvements. And I never got the impression that the updates were a surprise or not well communicated with the community - I think you guys do a fantastic job communicating with what you're working on, more so than any software I've worked with. Rarely do you see the owners of a platform, even the smaller ones, answering questions directly, so kudos for that.

As for the extension developers; the ones I mentioned in particular are great about staying aware of the changes. Unfortunately, that doesn't automatically mean the time is available to make those changes. My question was regards to getting to a point where there is a core code base that doesn't require major changes so often - but not at the risk of stagnation. From your answer that doesn't sound like possibility at this time, though Zarestia's answer makes it seem as though it is in the works.

@LordEntrails - Thank you for that bit of info. I was not aware that the DM side controls the ruleset. That makes it a lot easier to control, or at least less likely that one person updates early.

@Zarestia - Your answer is basically what I was hoping to hear, but it would be great to get confirmation on that from the management.

Thank you again, everyone!

Rob

Unfortunately, I cannot state unequivocally how things will go with timing of updates.

In this case, I had some related features that were scheduled, and affected specific areas of the code where performance improvements needed to be made. So, I made the performance updates as I made the feature updates. These tend to be the most disruptive, because they have to reorder, restructure or change behaviors to apply the desired performance improvements.

If you look at the updates historically, they tend to swing back and forth between a series of ruleset updates to client updates and back again. So, it will calm down again, but I can't say when exactly since it depends on business direction which is not completely up to me.

As of this point, there are at least two more restructuring projects that I have on the back burner that may or may not pop up, depending on our bandwidth and our business direction. However, we have not started those projects at all; and I would give a heads up on those as soon as we have confirmed and have a prototype. (i.e. to make sure it makes it past the prototype stage.) So, at this point, I do not have any imminent large updates on the schedule at this point. Most of the updates that I "know" are coming are related to adding features or low-level application performance.

Regards,
    JPG

I have to say I have noticed improved performance on having a 15-20 NPC’s in the combat tracker. Allowing large battle sequences and keeping dead NPC’s on maps to allow ‘Difficult Terrain’ with corpses. Changing how my players have to use strategies and accommodate distances they can walk and hit etc. The improvements are welcome and extension pains experienced are short lived.

But improvements are for ever.

Thread Information