FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FGU slows my computer insanely

I have developed a severe speed issue. When I start the game, and I mean when I hit enter to start, My entire computer, from the cursor to opening any file, folder, program, becomes so slow, it’s unusable.

Now, before you start with the “did you do this” part of help forums, I have been building and fixing computers for 35 years. If there is something to look at, I’ve done it already.

One of the strange things is that if I uninstall FGU, clean all traces in hidden folders like /AppData /ProgramData & the registry, and I try to install it again, as soon as I start the game installer FGUWebInstall.exe, I immediately get the system crawl.

Any ideas?

Icaryum

Anti virus software?

And welcome to FG.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Welcome to the FG forums. Sorry you're having issues.

As FGU is built on Unity, and the slow down appears as soon as you start the installer (which I believe uses the Unity libraries) there may be something conflicting/affecting the Unity engine on your computer.

1) Your GPU might be using too much resources, especially if it is not being set to limit frames-per-second display. This Wiki article might help: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...cing+GPU+Usage
    2) What is your system spec?
    3) Please upload the FGU logs after stating a campaign where you see the slowdown - details on collecting the logs can be found in the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...o+Compile+Logs
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Anti virus software?

And welcome to FG.
    All anti-virus software was uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller Pro. Windows version was disabled through services and all references of any anti-virus were deleted from the registry and any reference in services and startup file.
    Nothing
    Last edited by Icaryum; August 20th, 2022 at 20:28.

The system spec request might offer some insight.

FGU has some beefy requirements. What does the task manager show while it's running (cpu/mem/gpu usage).
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Welcome to the FG forums. Sorry you're having issues.

As FGU is built on Unity, and the slow down appears as soon as you start the installer (which I believe uses the Unity libraries) there may be something conflicting/affecting the Unity engine on your computer.

1) Your GPU might be using too much resources, especially if it is not being set to limit frames-per-second display. This Wiki article might help: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...cing+GPU+Usage
    2) What is your system spec?
    3) Please upload the FGU logs after stating a campaign where you see the slowdown - details on collecting the logs can be found in the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...o+Compile+Logs
    I have installed Unity software before, specifically Superposition, everything was fine. Note that nothing changed from before it began and after; not even a patch or windows update ( I have those on a timer). I used a restore point of 2 days before the issue, it was still there. GPU resources we're at 7% and core work was <1%, according to HWINFO64..
    Ryzen 3600, 32GB ram, RTX 2080.
    No offense intended, but if you had read my post and understood what I said, you would have known that I can't open a campaign. It begins immediately upon executing the .exe file.
    I concluded that this was an unknown service or registry key that was the cause and would require way to much time to track down. So I restored from my image file and installed FGU and look at that! It works. Even played last night.

I do appreciate very much the input. It's nice to have a community that has your back.

Icaryum

Quote Originally Posted by Icaryum View Post

FGU has some beefy requirements. What does the task manager show while it's running (cpu/mem/gpu usage).
    Task manager is a joke. Try HWINFO64 (it's free) and you will know what I mean.
    Last edited by Icaryum; August 20th, 2022 at 20:26.

Also, make sure that you don't have any overlays running (XBox, Steam, etc.)

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post

FGU has some beefy requirements. What does the task manager show while it's running (CPU/MEM/GPU usage).
    I have a Ryzen 3600 overclocked to 4100 (custom water cooled) with 32GB of G.SKILL TridentZ ram at 3000MHz over clocked to 3600 and an Asus RTX 2080 (also overclocked using Afterburner). AND yes, I reset to manufacturers specs for debugging.
    Last edited by Icaryum; August 20th, 2022 at 20:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Also, make sure that you don't have any overlays running (X Box, Steam, etc.)

Regards,
    JPG
    I don't typically use overlays, but I did use HWINFO after I started debugging. It was the only thing running. I even turned off services that are useless to lower the load.

Thread Information