5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    CoreRPG already lets you create a ruleset.

Having dealt with WotC as a local coordinator, my gut says they will probably continue to support FGU with releases. The "worst" I could see them going is a short exclusivity period on Beyond.

My reasoning behind my gut feeling is that for the past several years, they have been functioning under the rule of "play your way." We've seen this with the recent book releases, and this mindset was confirmed on the D&D1 info stream. They just want people playing D&D. They've finally realized they will get their money somehow as long as people are playing, no matter if it is in person, or using one of the many online options. Also, with the new movie coming out, they're gearing up for a possible influx of new players.
    Classic & Unity Ultimate License
    Timezone: US Central Time [CST = GMT-6/CDT = GMT-5]

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    We think that FGU will be a great platform to help test out playtest material more fully than on any other platform.
    I do agree it would be great to test these in FG, but, it may be quite difficult to make timely updates to FG to match all of the elements of the playtest as they are rolled out - unless SW is somehow given advance notice of playtest material.

As long as we continue to be able to release these [D&D Titles], we should be okay.
    WOTC is already raising prices by pairing hard copy & digital through direct sales. I think they are trying to cut out the game stores with this approach. I suspect they will continue to monopolize direct sales with the VTT as well.

Will people want to play in this 3D VTT space exclusively? I believe some will and some won't.
    I agree customer demand will be across a spectrum at first. Some players, especially young ones may be excited to try the new 3D interface. However, I think most DMs (such as myself) will prefer 2D or 2D+, due to ease of prep and being able to keep & use their existing assets. The 3D aspect makes more sense for a game like Gloomhaven where the DM's role is so small that it can be automated altogether. But unless the 3D DM-prep is reasonable, 3D VTT will just be a shiny tool that is not commonly used.

In conclusion, I fear WOTC will take (3?) years to build a 3D VTT that is not as good as the existing 2D FG. Then WOTC will shut off SM's licensing to force players to buy WOTC's substandard VTT. Customers then will have to choose 5E (or earlier) classic D&D on FG or 1DD (aka 6E) on WOTC's 3D VTT. If I'm right - that will be terrible for the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO View Post
    I do agree it would be great to test these in FG, but, it may be quite difficult to make timely updates to FG to match all of the elements of the playtest as they are rolled out - unless SW is somehow given advance notice of playtest material.

WOTC is already raising prices by pairing hard copy & digital through direct sales. I think they are trying to cut out the game stores with this approach. I suspect they will continue to monopolize direct sales with the VTT as well.

I agree customer demand will be across a spectrum at first. Some players, especially young ones may be excited to try the new 3D interface. However, I think most DMs (such as myself) will prefer 2D or 2D+, due to ease of prep and being able to keep & use their existing assets. The 3D aspect makes more sense for a game like Gloomhaven where the DM's role is so small that it can be automated altogether. But unless the 3D DM-prep is reasonable, 3D VTT will just be a shiny tool that is not commonly used.

In conclusion, I fear WOTC will take (3?) years to build a 3D VTT that is not as good as the existing 2D FG. Then WOTC will shut off SM's licensing to force players to buy WOTC's substandard VTT. Customers then will have to choose 5E (or earlier) classic D&D on FG or 1DD (aka 6E) on WOTC's 3D VTT. If I'm right - that will be terrible for the hobby.
    My speculation, because that is entirely what this thread is.. WOTC will sell the rights to D&D to Smiteworks for US?$ 7.99

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    My speculation, because that is entirely what this thread is.. WOTC will sell the rights to D&D to Smiteworks for US?$ 7.99
    Plus tax

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Decepticon View Post
    Plus tax
    It's always the tax that gets you

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

So here we are.....with the latest release from WOTC concerning the >$750,000 / yr, how will the latest debacle affect Fantasy Grounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Achernar22 View Post
    So here we are.....with the latest release from WOTC concerning the >$750,000 / yr, how will the latest debacle affect Fantasy Grounds?
    It won't. The post says "it won't affect the major VTT's that have licences" so its the one without licences that should be looking to get a licence.

The VTTs that have licenses (like FGU) have likely been paying royalties since their licenses were established.

I don't see how the owner of the intellectual property asking for a royalty for using their property is a debacle, it makes good business sense. People seem to be OMG the sky is falling. If a company with almost a million dollars in revenue cannot handle paying basic royalties for access to materials they are using there's a bigger problem at the company.

We've only seen the smallest of hints of how OGL 1.1 will be setup, and some of that might change in the next year and a half.

Smite Works are not publishing content, they convert WORC's own products to VTT. Therefore revenue goes to Wizards directly and I presume there are special agreement in place. What I think will be the impact on FG is that some content will be exclusive to Beyond and nothing else.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Thread Information