5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Constraints for using FG with your players

Hi

I'm considering taking my campaign online with FG.
    I have both Classic and Unity standard versions.
    We'd be using FGs RolemasterClassic, and an initial question would be: do my players need to purchase the RolemasterClassic in order to be able to play the game?

Also, I stumbled upon Ardems RMFRP extension for Rolemaster, but I can't seem to access it.
    I now own it, according to the Forge.
    It is listed in the Forge inventory.
    Update Enabled is checked.
    I tried updating.
    Both Classic and Unity versions of FG
    Several times.
    No dice.
    I must have missed some crucial clue as to how your get or activate the extension.

I'd also like to edit a minor detail in RMClassic, but where and how do I access the files?
    What program should I use to unpack and open and edit them?

Finally, it appears I might run a test of connection with one of the players, provided we use FG Classic.
    But not with Unity, so I guess well shelf that for now.
    Is there any difference in connecting with Classic and Unity?
    I've only ever used FG as a player, and that was with Classic.
    I recall it as fairly simpleand easy, but that remains to be seen, now that I'm the one hosting! ;-)

I'm sure you'll get more in depth info but a few nuggets:
    1) Classic is no longer supported or updated and I doubt anything from the Forge could be counted to work with it. Without some very specific reason, don't put any time in to learning Classic or teaching it to your players as it gets more out-of-date daily and you cannot count on finding current, updated, extensions to work with it.
    2) Typically rulesets are not something you can edit (though the Role Master forum would be the place to confirm this, look in the forums under Game Systems > Other Games Systems > Rolemaster Classic)
    3) I believe the licensing has remained the same. If you have a FG Standard license you can connect to other games, and other people with Standard licenses can connect to you. If you have an Ultimate license, then the players only need to download the free client, no license required. So what the players require is based on what you as the DM own.

I tend to agree with the strategy of getting into the Unity version, mainly.
    But since it demands additional investments to run, we'll make a connection test with Classic.
    So far, I havent managed to get much to work according to plan with FG, so my idea of using it as a GM is not looking so promising as it used to.
    It seems a bit esotheric.

Classic will require you to port forward probably in order to get connection to work, so I’d suggest using Unity cloud connection which brokers the connection and you will not require port forwarding. However you can only ever have one demo user connected if you have a Standard licence with Classic and in unity you will need an ultimate license if you want to host with demo users.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Don't use FG Classic. If you already have a license for FGU, their is no additional cost to using it. Besides no longer being updated, FGC requires a direct LAN connection and IPv4, which may necessitate port forwarding or a VPN. FGU has the ability to do cloud brokered connections to bypass all of that.

Since you have standard licenses, your players will have to buy an FG license anyway, and FGC licenses are no longer sold, so they will have to buy FGU which means they can not run FGC.

The Forge does not work at all with FGC. It's not linked to the application. The content in the Forge will generally not work at all with FGC. Content is not backwards compatible.

Players do not need to purchase rulesets, only the GM does.

The ruleset might either be in the Rulesets sub-folder or the Vault sub-folder of your FG Data directory. If it is in the vault it is encrypted and you will not be able to modify it. If it is on the rulesets folder then rename the extension to .zip and unzip it. But, I strongly suggest you do not otherwise you will not get any updates made to the ruleset in the future. Instead, make an extension that incorporates your changes.

Finally, don't try to learn FG by starting it up and exploring. Read the manual, watch videos and/or take free classes. Really, there are lots of resources to get you going quickly and easily, don't fight it, find the one(s) that work for you, use them.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Don't use FG Classic. If you already have a license for FGU, their is no additional cost to using it. Besides no longer being updated, FGC requires a direct LAN connection and IPv4, which may necessitate port forwarding or a VPN. FGU has the ability to do cloud brokered connections to bypass all of that.

Since you have standard licenses, your players will have to buy an FG license anyway, and FGC licenses are no longer sold, so they will have to buy FGU which means they can not run FGC.
    Alright.

The Forge does not work at all with FGC. It's not linked to the application. The content in the Forge will generally not work at all with FGC. Content is not backwards compatible.
    Does it work with FGU?
    FGU does not seem to get or connect with the "owned" Forge extension by Ardem, either.

Players do not need to purchase rulesets, only the GM does.
    So far, so good.

The ruleset might either be in the Rulesets sub-folder or the Vault sub-folder of your FG Data directory. If it is in the vault it is encrypted and you will not be able to modify it. If it is on the rulesets folder then rename the extension to .zip and unzip it. But, I strongly suggest you do not otherwise you will not get any updates made to the ruleset in the future. Instead, make an extension that incorporates your changes.
    Ok, thanks.
    As far as writing extensions goes, I doubt I'll find the time for anything like that before retirement.
    Last edited by Resonance; August 18th, 2022 at 23:32.

Blog Entries
    Yes the Forge works with FGU. Once you obtain/buy something from the Forge, you have to run an Update of FGU. When you update, you will see in the log a step where it is checking Forge purchases. They get downloaded to the correct sub-folder, but end up with UUID file names in the operating system, not something readable. When you start a campaign of the correct type, their is a window to enable all extensions that are available for that ruleset.

Questions specific to that extension can be asked in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Extension-2-1

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yes the Forge works with FGU. Once you obtain/buy something from the Forge, you have to run an Update of FGU. When you update, you will see in the log a step where it is checking Forge purchases. They get downloaded to the correct sub-folder, but end up with UUID file names in the operating system, not something readable. When you start a campaign of the correct type, their is a window to enable all extensions that are available for that ruleset.

Questions specific to that extension can be asked in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Extension-2-1
    As I wrote in the original post, I ran updates with FGU. Several times. Still no result. The extension does not appear. As mentioned in the original post.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    As I wrote in the original post, I ran updates with FGU. Several times. Still no result. The extension does not appear. As mentioned in the original post.
    It does not appear where?
    - In the list of available extensions when you are starting a new RMC campaign?
    - In the list of available campaign types when starting a new campaign?
    - In the fgupdater.log file (and you are checking by UUID)?
    - In your Vault folder (again, UUID)?
    - In your extensions or rulesets sub-folders?
    - In your module activation window of an RMC campaign?

If it is in one of the FG data sub-folders, delete the file and re-run the update. If the file was corrupted during download it won't dwnload again, but won't show up in the extensions list etc

Look for a file called 516a432a-0df9-11ec-8c52-0050562be458.dat in the <FG app data>\vault directory.

If it's there, create a new Rolemaster Classic campaign and look for an extension called "RM Fantasy RolePlaying Version" in the extensions list.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information