Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    WotC isn't alien to gatekeeping access to stuff. Remember the "do not release PDF to combat piracy".

My concern is that they start to gatekeep new digital stuff to their VTT. Sure, FGU can be used for everything else and we know that, but does that pays the bills? (rhetoric question)

Also, generating random 3D assets isn't an issue today. TotM with DNDB it's as easy as it can gets (accessibility, any cellphone/tablet can load char sheet and roll dice, which gets shared results for everyone in the campaign). So they are solving two problems in one sweep, while giving official adventures a great VTT experience.

Obviously it's not a panic state case, global crysis the world is ending situation, but it is something to give thought about.
    My Forge Stuff: (click and you'll go there )

-----------------------------
    Discord: @mtprimo • Ultimate License Holder • FGU Community Dev & Forge Crafter • Marketing & Designer • Brazilian
    Owner of Aqui Existem Dragões, a company focused on adapting TTRPG content to digital/VTT ready content.

Echoing what others say about 3D assets. I have no personal interest in them and I can actually model and texture 3D models / levels.

I am really enjoying using AI image generators to make splash screens for TotM though. Stable diffusion is awesome for that.

If it does come to FGU I kind of hope that it uses a 6e (Because let's be real that is what it is) offshoot ruleset. Because the rules aren't directly compatible and there looks like there will be some rather massive changes.

I would rather continue using FGU for D&D play too, as dnd beyond is horribly clunky and I don't have faith that one D&D is going to be such an overhaul that it will have me wanting to shift platforms.
    If I just wanted something pretty I would be playing D&D on foundry.

I'm committed to still using FGU for my online games as l like others have stated run other games of D&D that are not 5E. When I ran games in person I used D&D Beyond quite a bit as it made my D&D 5E games easier to prep for. It would only benefit WOTC/Hasbro if they keep all doors open.

I think WotC will have two big hurdles to overcome

First will be performance - you can google the hardware requirements for using the unreal engine - they are substantial. 2d graphics may not be as visually appealing, but they are simple bitmaped graphics and don't require ray tracing to render. If you thought you had lag problems with maps larger than 2048 x 2048, wait till you see what happens trying to move around in a 3d environment with dozens of multi-polygon objects in the field of view.

The second will be automation - 5E has lots of edge cases that need to be handled. Even something as simple as "make a Dex save" - do you have a bless running? If you have the Shield Master feat and you're the only target, then you can add your shield bonus to your dex save, but if there are multiple targets, then no. If you have evasion and you make your save you take no damage, etc. If your platform doesn't handle automation for most of the common rules effects, then it's actually going to slow play down. FGU has an advantage in that the platform is extensible - if the base automation in CoreRPG and 5E rulesets doesn't handle an edge case, the user community can add code via an extension to handle that. It will be interesting to see if WotC is open to user provided automation, and to what extent they provide tools to do so.

If WotC decides to force VTT folks to use their platform, I will just switch to another system for my games. Pathfinder 2e looks promising. I am invested in FGU, this community, and Smiteworks as a company.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

Blog Entries
    I posted some of my thoughts here:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...221#post660221

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Personally, I want to know that my Fantasy Grounds purchases will NOT be updated in synch with WoTC. I really don't like the current writing team and want my stuff left alone.
    Hard agree. I am afraid that existing source material will be changed and updated against the end-users' wishes. Since WotC is insisting this isn't a new version of D&D, but rather a continuation of 5e in a sense, I can easily imagine a scenario where our 5e digital VTT copies of the PHB, MM, DMG, etc are updated to incorporate these new rule changes, effectively erasing 5e from VTTs. I really hope FG makes One D&D its own ruleset, but considering how similar it is to 5e, I can see them not justifying keeping 2 nearly identical rulesets updated in parallel, and instead opt to replace 5e with One D&D.

Quote Originally Posted by GEONE View Post
    Hard agree. I am afraid that existing source material will be changed and updated against the end-users' wishes. Since WotC is insisting this isn't a new version of D&D, but rather a continuation of 5e in a sense, I can easily imagine a scenario where our 5e digital VTT copies of the PHB, MM, DMG, etc are updated to incorporate these new rule changes, effectively erasing 5e from VTTs. I really hope FG makes One D&D its own ruleset, but considering how similar it is to 5e, I can see them not justifying keeping 2 nearly identical rulesets updated in parallel, and instead opt to replace 5e with One D&D.
    They say it is 5e, but rules work differently already and it already says "nope can't use these character options together use old with old". Then you move onto stuff like spell lists changing entirely.

It may not be a completely new underlying engine and the math may allow characters to play along side of each other, but it looks more than a simple revision. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the new classes don't allow the selection of old subclasses (especially if they subclass choice to level 1).

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Okay, THIS is exciting. I would almost never use a full 3D environment for games I run, simply due to the amount of effort I would need to even set something simple up. I run mostly "fiction-first" game systems (Cypher System, Dungeon World, Blades in the Dark, etc.) where maps just aren't used beyond giving a sense of location, space, and scale. Combats are almost exclusively TOTM, though I have been known to just plop down a grid when needed.

I could see all kinds of possibilities with the demoed environment for the kind of combat I run.

Thanks for the peek, Doug!
    --
    I'm so bassic

Blog Entries
    A full 3d environment sounds great until you spend 40+ hours building a map that your players are finished with in 45 minutes of game time.

Then you start to question whether 3d environments are really all that big a step forward (when you essentially take on a 2nd full time job in between every game session just to make your map).
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information