STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    I'm betting 1DD will have a major impact on all VTTs. But it will depend on a lot of factors. Cost of course will be a big one; I'm not interested in a subscription model and I have a feeling that is where they will land. Functionality is another; it looks like it will go 3D but as a GM I would find making maps a PITA. Any VTT should make GMing easier.

The next few years will be quite interesting between some major players: WOTC's 1DD vs Roll20+Drivethrurpg vs FG. I'm not sure where Foundry will land.

In any case, SW seems to be a well run company and I would bet they've already made plans. [EDIT: I didn't see Doug's post when I wrote this and again, it shows how well run this company is. Kudos!] I can definitely see FG being the platform to run retro D&D (all past D&D editions including soon-to-be "classic 5e"). And I'm really excited with all the new rule sets they and the community have been releasing.

Personally, I can see myself on FGU until I retire...but I'm pretty sure I'll check out 1DD's VTT.
    Last edited by Ryuson; August 20th, 2022 at 14:50.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    The issue they'll likely run into is one of 3d assets.
    FG's strength (IMO) is that you don't have to prep much.

Probably it'll be cool for official adventures, but what happens when you want to draw a map and homebrew stuff?
    What happens when you want to use third party rules? What happens when you're playing an original adventure and you want to "yes, and" a player's good idea that conflicts with the 3d map you have loaded?
    I completely agree. FG makes GMing easier (in many ways, but it could be better). That's how I can see them compete. And how 3D isn't something that I'm interested in. But I'm sure my kids and the next gen of gamers would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdigris View Post
    The big announcement from WotC today was One D&D. A nice, digital sidecar to the physical books. New updates for all the books (moar money) with digital bundles to use on what appears to be a VTT using their engine and subscription service.

I'm curious how this will impact FGU's future in the D&D space, and how Smiteworks will adjust to this major change in the landscape.

Maybe check this out?
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post660221
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

My biggest questions are more about the mechanic changes and can FGU handle them. Like no crits for the DM/NPCs and no crits for spell attacks. Is this do able or will we be using workarounds? Leveled feats, I assume the easiest is just make a field for it in the feat page and move on because that lets DMs homerule if they want. Adding stat gains to backgrounds? Giving classes access to multiple spell lists (wizards get both wizard and arcane for example)? Grappled giving disadvantage on attacks on the non-grappler I assume can be done with IFT but then it wouldn't be automated on drop because the parser doesn't do IFT for hex or hunters mark or oath of vengeance etc. so will this be automated or not?

Things like this. But it is too early now since who knows how much will stick around for the full release.

Blog Entries
    Depending on the extent of the changes, it may warrant a new ruleset that allows imports by assets from 5E. We haven’t decided on the path for this yet.

Thread Information