DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: RMC in Unity?

RMC in Unity?

Hi all

I just installed FG Unity today for RMC but there seems to be some bugs...

For example, there are buttons for RM skills difficulty, but

1. can anyone make any of these Difficulty buttons work or do anything at all aside from changing color when you click em?

It is fortunate that one might still apply a modifier manually, but even so, being able to use these buttons, now that they are there, that would be nice. (They aren't particularly aestetic as such, so if no one knows how to make them work, perhaps someone has figured out how to remove them?)

Also, finding the preset RM background a tad too flashy, and the dark and light skins too dull, I've activated an extension theme meant for 5e, the "5e alternate leather theme" from https://www.fg-con.com/free-downloads/
    I like it a lot, although the background image seems to be a sligt bit too small for RM. The theme also appears to run well enough, while notifying of two errors during load, neither of which appear critical in any way. (the dicetower_icon image file could not be found, which is strange, since the dice tray is looking a lot nicer than the dull RMC one, but whatever, and some sort of script execution error concerning "registerLaunchMessage")

2. Is it possible to get other of the nice 5e themes to run with RMC?

Thanks

I've not had any issues with the modifier buttons.

Select your Difficulty, then roll the skill, and it will automatically set the proper difficulty (with the proper modifier).

For your theme, dicetower_icon is not the dice tray, it's the Dice Tower, unless you have the proper options set, you won't see the Tower. You have to set Show GM Rolls and Turn on the Dice Tower.

The Dice Tower then appears in the lower right corner.

For the Dice Tower icon and the Script error, you'll have to bring it to the attention of the Theme creator, they are the only ones that can fix those items.

NOTE: Since RMC is a paid Ruleset, the creator may not be able to fix the issue at hand, since they would have to purchase the ruleset to see what the issue is.

Try the FG Light or FG Dark themes, or you can try your hand at creating one of your own, here is another tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post

Select your Difficulty, then roll the skill, and it will automatically set the proper difficulty (with the proper modifier).

Hi Sulimo

Thank you for responding.

About the picture of Difficulty "in function" you've provided, I'm pretty confused.
    Your picture apparently demonstrates, that while the randomizer has apparently registered, that you'd like some sort of aknowledgement that one test is supposed to be of medium difficulty, and the other of Very Hard difficulty, the randomizer also fails to treat the rolls with any kind of differing modifier.
    Indeed, the difficulty modifier in both cases, appears to be exactly zero, which is CORRECT for a medium difficulty test, but also, sadly, WRONG for any other difficulty, including the Very Hard difficulty setting, that you have demonstrated in action.
    So, as you might understand, I'm a bit confused as to what you think your picture shows?
    If you consider it a success, that it makes no difference whether you wish for a medium or a Very Hard difficulty setting, as there will indeed be no difficulty modifier applied in either case, then yes, it works!
    If, like me, you'd actually like to see different modifiers applied for differing Difficulties, well, then your picture actually demonstrates, that it doesn't work at all.
    Both result would be exactly the same without any difficulty setting "activated" at all.

As for the rest of your reply, that is not relevant to me, for reasons mentioned in my original post.
    (I have a "dicetower" /"dicethrower", although with a different symbol than the one you apparently have, but that is quite irrelevant)

But I'd like to understand your response regarding the Difficulty settings better.
    For now, it appears quite mysterious.

Best Regards

I do not know what you are referring to as the randomizer, that's not something I am familiar with.

Select the difficulty before rolling the Skill Check, when the table resolve comes up, it will automatically select the proper column for the difficulty. Here is the full sequence of what needs to happen for it to work.

Select the difficulty (Hard Difficulty in this case):

Roll the Skill Check from the Skills tab on the character sheet, either double-click the shadow dice, or grab them and drag/drop them to the chat window.
    I chose the Swimming skill in this case, but it works for other MM skills as well.

The result will show in the Chat, automatically adding the character's skill level (+16 in this case) and give you the result.

When the skill check is rolled, it automatically brings up the Table Resolver on the GM screen.

Click resolve on the Table Resolver:

It will select the proper column in and cross reference the result (roll plus skill bonus), 20% in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    Hi Sulimo

Thank you for responding.

About the picture of Difficulty "in function" you've provided, I'm pretty confused.
    Your picture apparently demonstrates, that while the randomizer has apparently registered, that you'd like some sort of aknowledgement that one test is supposed to be of medium difficulty, and the other of Very Hard difficulty, the randomizer also fails to treat the rolls with any kind of differing modifier.
    Indeed, the difficulty modifier in both cases, appears to be exactly zero, which is CORRECT for a medium difficulty test, but also, sadly, WRONG for any other difficulty, including the Very Hard difficulty setting, that you have demonstrated in action.
    So, as you might understand, I'm a bit confused as to what you think your picture shows?
    If you consider it a success, that it makes no difference whether you wish for a medium or a Very Hard difficulty setting, as there will indeed be no difficulty modifier applied in either case, then yes, it works!
    If, like me, you'd actually like to see different modifiers applied for differing Difficulties, well, then your picture actually demonstrates, that it doesn't work at all.
    Both result would be exactly the same without any difficulty setting "activated" at all.

As for the rest of your reply, that is not relevant to me, for reasons mentioned in my original post.
    (I have a "dicetower" /"dicethrower", although with a different symbol than the one you apparently have, but that is quite irrelevant)

But I'd like to understand your response regarding the Difficulty settings better.
    For now, it appears quite mysterious.

Best Regards
    Hi Resonance,

I think the confusion is happening because those buttons behave differently depending on the type of skill used. If it is a static maneuver (SM) then it will apply a modifier to the roll, but if it is a movement maneuver (MM) the difficulty specifies the column of the MM Table that is used. Sulimo's example is showing a MM skill, swim so it opens the MM Table to that column when it is resolved. Hopefully that helps but please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Hi Dakadin and Sulimo

Thank you for your replies, they both enlightened me as to the meaning of Sulimos first reply.

I was simply expecting the Difficulty modifier to be applied when clicked, even if no particular skill is clicked as a mode of rolling.
    Indeed, it is still somewhat mysterious to me, why it would only be applied, when skills are chosen as a mode of activating the randomizer (meaning "the dice").
    I see no particular reason why it shouldn't work, if someone just clicks a difficulty and proceeds to roll percentage dice.
    I think it would make sense, but whatever. You need to activate a particular skill to get the difficulty mod do anything, and it only applies the modifier to the die roll, if the skill activated is a Static M. Got it.

Since I've applied some optional rules to my game, where the difficulties give other boons and penalties than in Standard RMC, I was wondering if you know of any way to change settings or to set the difficulty modifiers as you'd prefer?

Best regards

Hi Resonance,

For the optional rules in your game, you have a few possible ways to do it.
    1. Manually add the appropriate modifier before rolling.
    2. Your PCs can setup a skill to be used for when they roll the dice. If it is setup as a SM skill it will apply those modifiers. This might not work for you since you have additional boons and penalties.
    3. Use the custom modifiers in the modifiers window and adjust them to match your optional rules. You can find them by searching for difficulty. Then just add the appropriate one as a modifier. Here is a screenshot:
    Difficulty Modifiers.jpg
    4. Create an extension to change the difficulty modifier buttons.

#3 is probably the best option since the links can be dragged down to the hotkey bar and used from there.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post

4. Create an extension to change the difficulty modifier buttons.

#3 is probably the best option since the links can be dragged down to the hotkey bar and used from there.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Many thanks, Dakadin,

the quickslots do indeed seem like an appropriate placement and handling of this.
    I'd still be interested to know more about how ro do the selfnade extension option.
    But I agree, this is no doubt a much easier approach.

The wiki has information on making extensions for FG in the Developer Guide section: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...eveloper+Guide

There is some basic information that it provides before you get to the information about extensions. Basically they just overwrite or add sections of a ruleset to provide different functionality but might need updating when the rulesets get updated.

If you explain, how your optional rule works then I can point you in the write direction for the code changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post
    The wiki has information on making extensions for FG in the Developer Guide section: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...eveloper+Guide

There is some basic information that it provides before you get to the information about extensions. Basically they just overwrite or add sections of a ruleset to provide different functionality but might need updating when the rulesets get updated.

If you explain, how your optional rule works then I can point you in the write direction for the code changes.
    Sounds awesome! Thanks for the offer!

I've simply converted to the HARP version of difficulties.
    +60
    +40
    +20
    +0

Also, if it is possible, you might point me in the direction of how to delete the Difficulty buttons from the interface, as a possibly simpler option to editing the code to do something new with the buttons.
    I don't mind if this should produce an additional error message during load.

Best regards

Thread Information