5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Enviromental damage

I was doing my first 5E module and I came across a couple places where it generates a 2d10 cave-in damage (bludgeoning) and I was able to create an NPC "Cave-in" with unnamed Damage roll for this.

Is that the way to go? Assuming it is..

Then I saw another instance of this same thing but it allows for a DC13 DEX check to take half damage.

I thought, maybe I add a "spell" entry directly to the NPC to do the save check then apply damage. My first try was this:
    The target must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 11 (2d10 bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

But clicking on saving throw makes it save vs 10 but I want a set value not based on NPC - tips?

Thanks Zacchaeus, I missed this post when trying things. I kept putting the DC 13 at end and it she no work
    This did:
    The target must make a DC 13 dexterity saving throw or take 2d10 bludgeoning damage or half as much damage on a successful saving throw.

Thread:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-a-simple-trap

Blog Entries
    Yep, NPCs are the way to go. You can see various trap module examples, such as in the DMG, the forums ere, and some of the other adventure modules. Note that the general approach to traps changed from the DMG to ?MToF? (sorry, can't remember which). But tat doesn't really impact things, just that you may see different traits depending upon the source.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yep, NPCs are the way to go. You can see various trap module examples, such as in the DMG, the forums ere, and some of the other adventure modules. Note that the general approach to traps changed from the DMG to ?MToF? (sorry, can't remember which). But tat doesn't really impact things, just that you may see different traits depending upon the source.
    Thanks - never looked in DMG (like a doofus) just in WotC adventure modules. Found a bunch of examples in DMG but when I loaded MToF (Mord's Tome of Foes) I could not find a single "Trap" in NPCs or by searching in Ref Manual
    I back the basic core bundle and usually adventures although now that I can spend my money on other rulesets I like, I no longer back modules - used to do that to "subscribe/donate" to FG. But now I send em money buying other systems. So I still likely have the "newer" trap example if it was in a core book.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, Xanathar's is the book with the newer trap format.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Awesome, I see it now - Trigger/Countermeasures and "Effect" for Action.

Thanks again man!

Blog Entries
    Glad I could help

Thread Information