Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

What is the best way to back up your campaign?

I am switching over from FG Classic to FGU and see that the option for online play says "cloud" based. Does that mean our campaign data is stored somewhere other than our client PC? What is the best way to make backups for campaign data? The reason I ask is because I recall with the old FG I would get an occasional corruption and need to restore a backup.

Cloud is just a connection broker, your campaign still exists on your PC.

The easiest way to backup your campaign is to copy the campaign folder to another location, so that you have two copies. Don't use a cloud backup, it can cause issues.

Backing up your campaign.

Note, you can copy TO and FROM a cloud location just fine. You just can't point your campaign location at it in FG because at some point it will likely become corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinmuriel View Post
    I am switching over from FG Classic to FGU and see that the option for online play says "cloud" based. Does that mean our campaign data is stored somewhere other than our client PC? What is the best way to make backups for campaign data? The reason I ask is because I recall with the old FG I would get an occasional corruption and need to restore a backup.
    The best way to back up your campaign is to copy the entire /campaign folder onto another hard drive and also maybe onto a USB stick or a cloud service. I have about 8 backups in various locations (some of which I don't remember.)

Bump what Jimi says. I load my campaign folder into Google Drive.

I regularly zip up the campaigns, extensions, modules, portraits, and tokens folders into a single .zip file and save it on OneDrive. They end up being about 1 gig each and I keep the number of zips retained limited to around 10 or so. That may be overkill, but it gives the ability to quickly restore the state of FG if my hard drive dies or I need to set up a new computer. I use 7-zip.

I also archive old campaigns that are no longer in use in a separate folder on OneDrive.

Just make sure you don't sync the data directory and make backups while you don't play.
    I personally use the free Veeam agent to backup to a NAS. But every other medium and backup software does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    Just make sure you don't sync the data directory and make backups while you don't play.
    I personally use the free Veeam agent to backup to a NAS. But every other medium and backup software does the job.
    I was burned by that years ago when I first started using FG, never again.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    I was burned by that years ago when I first started using FG, never again.
    If you mean the software, yeah. Imo, it has only been stable/good after they revamped it a few years ago (2019?). Been using that in work environments, so atleast I got the experience with it.

Review any third-party modules or extensions from your older campaign if applicable. Remember that if you have "older modules" from the DM's Guild referenced, created before FG Unity, in your older campaign, some of the content might not be as compatible regarding images and text compatibility. The way FGU handles images (directories) and the ISO text format has changed a bit, so a few of your older modules might display funny characters or have missing image links if applicable. This issue can be fixed, but it's too lengthy to describe in text. If you are using any extensions, those too might need to be updated and such. For the most part, 90% should be good to go. Best of luck with your transition!

Laerun
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Thread Information