5E Character Create Playlist

fantasy grounds game server connection was lost

Normally our connection is fine, but tonight i was disconnected from the host after 2-3 minutes of connecting, repeatidly

changes since the last successful connection; none player side, GM couldn't remember doing any.
    3 other players were connected without issue

Modules;
    DMG
    MM
    PHB
    Volo
    Xanathar

Player Side
    AV: Disabled
    Firewall: Disabled

Only difference is this was the 1st time ever that I was the last player to join.

Tried on normal cable Broadband and phone Hotspot to rule out router / isp issues.

Any help would be apreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

The application has not been updated in over two months; so most likely it's something that has changed in the network environment for either the player or GM. While it is usually a player side network issue when only one player can't connect (or stay connected); it could be related to throttling/QoS on the GM side as well.

The log contains several entries like this:
    [8/10/2022 8:06:05 PM] Noble Connect [266292]: Socket receive operation was interrupted, likely due to the socket being closed

This means that the network connection was cut in the middle, by some security software or router setting which is blocking the connection. The first step is always to shut down machine, shut down all routers (provide by Internet provider and those added by yourself), restart all routers, and restart machine. This should reset everything back to the default network settings set up on your devices, in case it's a temporary effect from an outage (such as power outage, etc.).

Otherwise, we have a wiki page which walks through possible settings that could affect the connection:
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting

Regards,
    JPG

Hi Moon Wizard

Thank you for your reply. To Flesh out my OP a bit more (keep reading to the end as it details how i restored my connection to the GM)

Step 1
    Game Type: Direct
    Settings tested against this: instead of connecting from the recent games, searched and connected like i did originaly, Issue persisted
    Uninstalled, restarted and re-installed, Issue Persisted

Step 2
    As originally posted, No AV and Firewall disabled for testing.
    I do have an ad-blocker in chrome, but this has never caused an issue through the unity system previously.
    No Perental controls in place

Step 3
    (you have seen the logs)

Step 4
    Have other players connect to GM game. YES
    Have GM connect to another GM’s game. NOT Tried, No other known GM to test with
    Have Player connect to another GM’s game. NOT Tried, No other known GM to test with
    If possible, please have the GM or Player try hosting or connecting from another machine on same network. No Other machines to use at the time

Step 5
    No VPN's Running

Step 6
    Tried Both, WiFi on 3 different local network + Mobile Hotspot

Step 7
    Apart from the recommendations being unrealistic for private upload capacity on an average connection, Networks were operating within norms for games without faults.

Step 8
    elliminated Router & ISP by testing on 5G Mobile.

Step 9
    Network Topology
    Do you have more than one router configured on your network? NO
    Do you have more than one access point set up on your network that are using the same network name?NO
    Use wireless network performance tools to analyze throughput and interference on your network. Downloads: 2.4GHz & Ethernet on PowerLAN = 39Mbps, 2.4Ghz on Router = 27Mbps, 5Ghz on Router = 76Mbps, less than -88dbm interference on the local networks
    Router Settings - No Filtering, used Mobile hotspot to check if Router was an issue
    Turn off Quality of Service settings - Disabled as standard
    Check for extra security options - No Extra security options, even DNS is pointing to google
    IDS/IPS firewalls - Not Present/Disabled
    Exfiltration protection - Personal machine
    Ad or image filtering - only in chrome
    Parental controls - None
    Recent Changes
    Have there been any recent updates to the operating system or specific drivers? Not since last game
    Can you try an alternate machine? Not at the time
    Can you try another network port on your machine? Used 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, Built in LAN, USB LAN

Development
    Are you running any VMs that have registered virtual network interfaces? If so, please disable, and try again. No

Please don't assume that just because I sumerised the applicaple notes from the troubleshooter that, in my 90 minutes testing, I did not find it and run though it, along with several other posts, in fact, it was the post you indicated that told me where to raise the request and collect the required information BEFORE i raised this.

As a point, I have tested the connection today, no changes have been made on either machine, nor the network connections. Only difference was that I was the only player in the session. Ran for >30 minutes testing, no disconnections. At the moment, I am running with the unscientific claim that it is because I was the last one to join and the computer was jealous.
    Last edited by angelssword; August 14th, 2022 at 22:02.

To Confirm

Played a full game with no kicks, I logged in before any other players and it worked fine all evening.

Thread Information