DICE PACKS BUNDLE

NPC Traps and effects

Hi, i've seen a few topics in different posts, some sorta speak to traps, some speak to the effects on NPC's etc. But I haven't found an all encompassing question regarding NPC traps and their effects.

First off it looks like all the traps in the NPC table for Pathfinder are coded as NPC creature vs trap. I'm assuming that's due to new interface for the NPC's and the old traps not moved over to the trap/haunt type.

So that's my first question. Does it really make much difference, other than the interface has less fields for the trap type vs creature?

Second all the trap that are in the table have all of the effects etc as text on the other tab but nothing to click on that when the trap pops into the combat tracker for GM. How can I code this information into the ATK fields to effectively do the trap?

I've been able to do the pit trap, e.g. simple physical attack and damage traps, but the spell type ones are causing me grief. I've looked at the syntax for the parser with the whole target must save etc. But for the life of me can't get it to work.

So the syntax, according to the wiki's etc is:

The target must make a DC x <ability> saving throw, taking x (ndn+x) <type> damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Building that out to be 4d6 save for half fire I've tried building.

The target must make a DC 20 Reflex saving throw, taking (4d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

But the parser just doesn't like it. First it doesn't make the target roll to save, or it tries to do a hit at +20 but then no damage..

What am I missing or doing incorrectly?

Thanks all.

There are different fields for a trap vs. a creature. If you're not going to use them, then it doesn't really make a difference.

I'm not familiar with the Wiki syntax you mention - is that specifically for Pathfinder 1e or for another ruleset?

The best approach for adding save/damage entries is to manually add a "spell" to the spells tab (even though it's not a spell). Then setup the actions within a spell using the right-click menu - in your example you'll be adding a Cast action and a damage action.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information