DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: House rules

House rules

Hello all

I am curious how many of us are using house rules that "tweak" the overall game experience

Our table is experimenting with a few

1 Friendly fire. A character who misses their attack must then roll to "hit" friendly forces adjacent to the target. The roll is done as an unskilled check making it unlikely but still possible to hit a friend by mistake.

2 Role playing, a killing blow can be described by the player who then earns a benefit on the future roll during the session. Currently the benefit is a boon, but perhaps will be nerfed to a +2.

do you have any to share ?

tia
    Ultimate License Holder & FGU backer
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:
    *Opus Christini Traveller campaign

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

Here is my list for my current campaign.
    Had to take some of the lesser rules out due to space restriction in forum.

HOME BREW RULES

1. Combat Advantage

In this campaign, Combat Advantage is usually granted in conjunction with a successful knowledge skill check against the creature in question.
    Combat Advantage is only good against that particular creature type and only in the instance in which you made that successful skill check. In other words, combat advantage is limited.
    I do not use Combat Disadvantage in this campaign, unless you break rule 01.11 in General rules in which you will be penalized [Intentional Metagaming]

REASON: I either use this rule or ban you from the game. This is the lesser of two evils.

In addition to this Combat advantage only applies to PC's, not thier NPC's or any Opposition faced against you.

REASON: You are hereos, and should have an edge.

2. Critical Failures

This campaign does use critical failures, (that is rolling a 1 to hit in combat results in some sort of negative effect), when attacking in combat.
    Critical Failures effect all participants in combat. That is to say; PC's, NPC's, Animals, Monsters, everyone. A critical failure only happens on a natural one and applies even if there are modifiers.
    Players (and only players, not companions and such), however, get an advantage in that they must confirm the failure in order for it to take effect. This is done by rerolling the d20 if you roll a 1, 2 or 3 again, you fumble, if not, then nothing adverse happens to you...this time.

REASON: Just as in real life, even though your hereos, **** happens.

3. Inspiration

Anytime a player does something I find risky and succeeds or out thinks me in a clever and thoughtful way, you will be awarded an inspiration point. You can also earn Inspiration points with exceptional role play, a good performance or an unbelievable skill check. Basically, anything that impresses the DM will warrent a Inspiration point.
    You are only allowed one Inspiration Point per game session. They can be carried forward, but you will not earn another inspiration point until the current one is spent.
    If you pass a level bracket, [Shown Below], your inspiration levels with you. This is for simplicities sake and because your only allowed one at a time regardless.

Level of Player Inspiration Advantage Die

1st - 4th Level 1d6

5th - 8th Level 1d8

9th - 12th Level 1d10

13th - 16th Level 1d12

17th - 20th Level 1d20

Inspiration can be used for any action that requires a roll of the die. This is a powerful advantage in that it can be used in conjunction with combat advantage or any skill, or ability requiring a die roll.

You can also use your inspiration point to increase your hit points permanently with some limitations. For hit point increase each Inspiration will grant you a +1 to your hit points if you elect to use it for that purpose. You may only use only one inspiration point per level to gain hit points in this way. Inspiration cannot be used for attribute or save increases.

REASON: This is a reward for excellent play. It is also a reward for keeping me entertained as well.

4. God Calls

Any player that has a deity may make a god call only when faced with imminent character death. Thier are consequences for this action, however.
    A god Call is a hail mary asking for help in the most dire of situations. A player must ask the DM for the Call. The player then rolls a D20 and gets a plus for every level he currently has, [Priests, Druids, Religious Archtypes double your level] and may use an inspiration at this time as well. If the combined total equals 20 or more. The player's character is miraculously saved and goes on to live another day.
    However, in requesting this god call, the player loses half of his current XP to the Next Level. This happens each and every time a god call is requested, and it can only be called apon if your character would die.
    You do not have to request a god call; this is optional for the player in question.
    Athiests cannot make god calls because they don't believe in the gods. Sorry Atheists.

REASON: This gives any player who does not want to lose thier character, a chance to save that character. It's not guaranteed and comes with a cost to avoid misuse of this ability.

5. No Taking 10 or 20

This is a nonsensical rule in the first place which only serves to have a DM inflate the DC levels of every check in the game. In this regard, the DC's in this campaign are lower than the ones listed in most source material to reflect this change. It effectively cancels out the need for a 10 or 20 roll. This also makes skills neccesary and more useful. If you miss your skill check you can make another 24 hours later after resting and thinking the problem over.

REASON: as stated above.

6. Backstory Specifics

Players are encouraged to write a generalized backstory to include with their characters. Where possible, backstory elements may or may not be included in the campaign itself, most likely as a side quest or events. While backstories are encouraged, I would like you to keep them to a page at most. Primarily I need specifics of the backstory with examplees like the following.

"Town in which he/she was raised was subject to numerous raids by Orcs of the smashmouth clan. So he/she hates Orcs from this clan especially."
    "He/she had a love named Beth, who mysteriously disappeared shortly after a mage by the name of Fister came to the town."
    "I have a fear of heights ever since I fell from a tree as a boy."

REASON: To personalize the campaign for each player by adding plots and subplots that relate to their characters.

8. Character Death

In the event that a character dies, a player may roll up another character of the same level. He/she does not have to play the same class, race, etc. If I am able to, that character will be reintroduced to the other characters in the same session or at latest, the following session depending on the circumstances.

Reason: It's ridiculous, to me, to have players start at first level when the other player character's may be several levels higher. As for integration with the rest of the group, there are two reasons for this. First, this allows the party to be at full power and secondly it allows the player who is out, to participate again.

12. SPELLCASTING REQUIRES ROLLS

All spellcasters must roll a 10 or better to hit when casting any spell. Critical hits and failures apply to all spellcasters.

REASON: It is unfair to have only non spellcasters suffer the consequences of a fumble or a success for that matter. This makes it equitable for all characters in the game.

13. Unlimited Magic

Spellcasters can cast their spells as much as they want just don't roll a 1.

REASON: If you're going to have magic in the game, then it shouldn't be so restrictive. Wizards still are limited to what they memorize but can cast it repeatedly like cantrips, (0 level spells). [My campaigns only run to 10th - 12th level tops, so this allows these casters to be relavent earlier than normal.

14. ALIGNMENT

I use a slightly modified version of the alignment removal rule in Pathfinder Unchained.

Outsiders Only: You can keep the alignment subtypes for outsiders and allow alignment-based effects to apply only to them. In this style of game, mortals live in a world with shades of gray, but true evil does still exist in the multiverse in the hearts of daemons, demons, devils, and the other evil outsiders. This rule will affect paladins and spellcasters in that they can only detect evil in outsiders and non-player races. In addition to this, characters can be affected by their alignment choice by enviromental conditions, (such as evil temples, elysian glades, Wild Magic and Dark Magic zones, etc.), and skill checks vs NPC's (as in trying to bluff or use diplomacy vs good or evil).

REASON: I have never liked how alignment didn't worked in the game. With this rule choosing your alignment can give positive and/or negative consequences. It gives alignment a game mechanic that does not constrain or penalize the player for occasional gray areas.

16. WEATHER EFFECTS

This campaign does use weather as an encounter type. It is important to have the appropriate gear for the type of terrain and season you are currently in. Weather can kill you if you're not prepared for it. See Equipment wear and tear below.

REASON: This makes weather a potential adversary as well.

17. COMMERCE

This campaign is not designed or purposed for economic roleplay. Players that want to make stuff for money such as scrolls, potions, magic items, armor, weapons, etc are limited to 100 gps per month per level. This also goes for professions such as bard singing, storytelling, fighting, etc. This also applies for stripping a dungeon. Parcels have been created for valuables that are worth taking already. Creatures that have anything of real value have parcels for that encounter. If a player really wants to strip a dungeon it will have to be on a separate adventure pertaining to that sort of activity. Be forwarned, this will be an adventure too.

18. EQUIPMENT WEAR AND TEAR

Your equipment must be actively maintained and is subject to wear and tear through the act of adventuring. Maintaining equipment prolongs the life of your equipment but does not eliminate the eventual deterioration of said equipment.
    Furthermore, equipment comes in several states. Broke, Damaged, Good, Excellent and Superior. Each state has an effect on the equipment, either when bought or picked up from defeated foes.

REASON: Just as in real life, no matter how good your equipment is, it will eventually fail do to wear and usage. This also gives real meaning to the appraisal skill. It also allows characters to purchase better, [longer lasting] equipment. It also is very unrealistic to think that your equipment should last from 1st level until 20th without ever having to replace it.

Here is my list for my campaign.
    Had to take some of the lesser rules out due to space restriction in forum.
    I play PF1e

HOME BREW RULES

1. Combat Advantage

In this campaign, Combat Advantage is usually granted in conjunction with a successful knowledge skill check against the creature in question.
    Combat Advantage is only good against that particular creature type and only in the instance in which you made that successful skill check. In other words, combat advantage is limited.
    I do not use Combat Disadvantage in this campaign, unless you break rule 01.11 in General rules in which you will be penalized [Intentional Metagaming]

REASON: I either use this rule or ban you from the game. This is the lesser of two evils.

In addition to this Combat advantage only applies to PC's, not thier NPC's or any Opposition faced against you.

REASON: You are hereos, and should have an edge.

2. Critical Failures

This campaign does use critical failures, (that is rolling a 1 to hit in combat results in some sort of negative effect), when attacking in combat.
    Critical Failures effect all participants in combat. That is to say; PC's, NPC's, Animals, Monsters, everyone. A critical failure only happens on a natural one and applies even if there are modifiers.
    Players (and only players, not companions and such), however, get an advantage in that they must confirm the failure in order for it to take effect. This is done by rerolling the d20 if you roll a 1, 2 or 3 again, you fumble, if not, then nothing adverse happens to you...this time.

REASON: Just as in real life, even though your hereos, **** happens.

3. Inspiration

Anytime a player does something I find risky and succeeds or out thinks me in a clever and thoughtful way, you will be awarded an inspiration point. You can also earn Inspiration points with exceptional role play, a good performance or an unbelievable skill check. Basically, anything that impresses the DM will warrent a Inspiration point.
    You are only allowed one Inspiration Point per game session. They can be carried forward, but you will not earn another inspiration point until the current one is spent.
    If you pass a level bracket, [Shown Below], your inspiration levels with you. This is for simplicities sake and because your only allowed one at a time regardless.

Level of Player Inspiration Advantage Die

1st - 4th Level 1d6

5th - 8th Level 1d8

9th - 12th Level 1d10

13th - 16th Level 1d12

17th - 20th Level 1d20

Inspiration can be used for any action that requires a roll of the die. This is a powerful advantage in that it can be used in conjunction with combat advantage or any skill, or ability requiring a die roll.

You can also use your inspiration point to increase your hit points permanently with some limitations. For hit point increase each Inspiration will grant you a +1 to your hit points if you elect to use it for that purpose. You may only use only one inspiration point per level to gain hit points in this way. Inspiration cannot be used for attribute or save increases.

REASON: This is a reward for excellent play. It is also a reward for keeping me entertained as well.

4. God Calls

Any player that has a deity may make a god call only when faced with imminent character death. Thier are consequences for this action, however.
    A god Call is a hail mary asking for help in the most dire of situations. A player must ask the DM for the Call. The player then rolls a D20 and gets a plus for every level he currently has, [Priests, Druids, Religious Archtypes double your level] and may use an inspiration at this time as well. If the combined total equals 20 or more. The player's character is miraculously saved and goes on to live another day.
    However, in requesting this god call, the player loses half of his current XP to the Next Level. This happens each and every time a god call is requested, and it can only be called apon if your character would die.
    You do not have to request a god call; this is optional for the player in question.
    Athiests cannot make god calls because they don't believe in the gods. Sorry Atheists.

REASON: This gives any player who does not want to lose thier character, a chance to save that character. It's not guaranteed and comes with a cost to avoid misuse of this ability.

5. No Taking 10 or 20

This is a nonsensical rule in the first place which only serves to have a DM inflate the DC levels of every check in the game. In this regard, the DC's in this campaign are lower than the ones listed in most source material to reflect this change. It effectively cancels out the need for a 10 or 20 roll. This also makes skills neccesary and more useful. If you miss your skill check you can make another 24 hours later after resting and thinking the problem over.

REASON: as stated above.

6. Backstory Specifics

Players are encouraged to write a generalized backstory to include with their characters. Where possible, backstory elements may or may not be included in the campaign itself, most likely as a side quest or events. While backstories are encouraged, I would like you to keep them to a page at most. Primarily I need specifics of the backstory with examplees like the following.

"Town in which he/she was raised was subject to numerous raids by Orcs of the smashmouth clan. So he/she hates Orcs from this clan especially."
    "He/she had a love named Beth, who mysteriously disappeared shortly after a mage by the name of Fister came to the town."
    "I have a fear of heights ever since I fell from a tree as a boy."

REASON: To personalize the campaign for each player by adding plots and subplots that relate to their characters.

8. Character Death

In the event that a character dies, a player may roll up another character of the same level. He/she does not have to play the same class, race, etc. If I am able to, that character will be reintroduced to the other characters in the same session or at latest, the following session depending on the circumstances.

Reason: It's ridiculous, to me, to have players start at first level when the other player character's may be several levels higher. As for integration with the rest of the group, there are two reasons for this. First, this allows the party to be at full power and secondly it allows the player who is out, to participate again.

12. SPELLCASTING REQUIRES ROLLS

All spellcasters must roll a 10 or better to hit when casting any spell. Critical hits and failures apply to all spellcasters.

REASON: It is unfair to have only non spellcasters suffer the consequences of a fumble or a success for that matter. This makes it equitable for all characters in the game.

13. Unlimited Magic

Spellcasters can cast their spells as much as they want just don't roll a 1.

REASON: If you're going to have magic in the game, then it shouldn't be so restrictive. Wizards still are limited to what they memorize but can cast it repeatedly like cantrips, (0 level spells). [My campaigns only run to 10th - 12th level tops, so this allows these casters to be relavent earlier than normal.

14. ALIGNMENT

I use a slightly modified version of the alignment removal rule in Pathfinder Unchained.

Outsiders Only: You can keep the alignment subtypes for outsiders and allow alignment-based effects to apply only to them. In this style of game, mortals live in a world with shades of gray, but true evil does still exist in the multiverse in the hearts of daemons, demons, devils, and the other evil outsiders. This rule will affect paladins and spellcasters in that they can only detect evil in outsiders and non-player races. In addition to this, characters can be affected by their alignment choice by enviromental conditions, (such as evil temples, elysian glades, Wild Magic and Dark Magic zones, etc.), and skill checks vs NPC's (as in trying to bluff or use diplomacy vs good or evil).

REASON: I have never liked how alignment didn't worked in the game. With this rule choosing your alignment can give positive and/or negative consequences. It gives alignment a game mechanic that does not constrain or penalize the player for occasional gray areas.

16. WEATHER EFFECTS

This campaign does use weather as an encounter type. It is important to have the appropriate gear for the type of terrain and season you are currently in. Weather can kill you if you're not prepared for it. See Equipment wear and tear below.

REASON: This makes weather a potential adversary as well.

17. COMMERCE

This campaign is not designed or purposed for economic roleplay. Players that want to make stuff for money such as scrolls, potions, magic items, armor, weapons, etc are limited to 100 gps per month per level. This also goes for professions such as bard singing, storytelling, fighting, etc. This also applies for stripping a dungeon. Parcels have been created for valuables that are worth taking already. Creatures that have anything of real value have parcels for that encounter. If a player really wants to strip a dungeon it will have to be on a separate adventure pertaining to that sort of activity. Be forwarned, this will be an adventure too.

18. EQUIPMENT WEAR AND TEAR

Your equipment must be actively maintained and is subject to wear and tear through the act of adventuring. Maintaining equipment prolongs the life of your equipment but does not eliminate the eventual deterioration of said equipment.
    Furthermore, equipment comes in several states. Broke, Damaged, Good, Excellent and Superior. Each state has an effect on the equipment, either when bought or picked up from defeated foes.

REASON: Just as in real life, no matter how good your equipment is, it will eventually fail do to wear and usage. This also gives real meaning to the appraisal skill. It also allows characters to purchase better, [longer lasting] equipment. It also is very unrealistic to think that your equipment should last from 1st level until 20th without ever having to replace it.

Thread Information