5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Ping the map

Ping the map

Hi Folks,

looking for advice on how to ping the map, the same as in roll20. I assume Fantasy Gounds has this buried in its system somewhere, if not is it in the pipeline for inclusion as this seems a must have in my opinion?
    "Prepare for unforseen consequences."

Blog Entries
    Use Quick Pointers.
    Hold down right and left mouse and draw a line by default. Combine with Shift for a square, Alt for a cone, and CTrl for a circle. Draw another or just click left/right combo to get it to go away.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It‘s been on the wishlist for quite some time, so please vote for it there
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com

The clumsy „hold button and draw circle“ thing is so outdated it hurts…

Quote Originally Posted by AlterZwerg View Post
    It‘s been on the wishlist for quite some time, so please vote for it there
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com

The clumsy „hold button and draw circle“ thing is so outdated it hurts…
    Voted, thanks for the update. Really surprised this is not already incporporated??
    "Prepare for unforseen consequences."

I personally don't think the ping is that great compared to the arrow. A ping in Roll 20 involves just holding down mouse1 and often doing it a handful of times. Drawing an arrow is left and right click with a slight mouse drag. Not a big difference effort wise.
    I prefer the arrow as it stays on the image so it doesn't require spamming mouse inputs to keep the arrow visible and, well, is an arrow so it points specifically to a spot. When I play with Roll 20 I found myself pinging continuously waiting for whomever I am trying to show something to to spot it on the map and discern the object of attention.

They accomplish similar things, but IMO the arrow is the superior tool. That said, I don't think having both would be a problem so I wouldn't be upset if ping is added.
    Last edited by Dudin; August 5th, 2022 at 17:10.

Also the arrow is the same colour as the player or DM's dice - so you know who's doing the pinging.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Also the arrow is the same colour as the player or DM's dice - so you know who's doing the pinging.
    Which is pretty much standard in any other VTT, too.

I‘d see a ping with „hold down left mouse button for x seconds for a ping that vanishes after y seconds“
    more as an additional feature than a replacement for the current way of drawing circles,pointers, etc.
    Both have their merits in certain use cases.
    I just had the „how do I ping here“ discussion too many times for my liking and every time I came up with Lord Entrails explanation all I got was „Are you serious?“

I don‘t need the new map drawing stuff or sound implementation or shiny dice skins.
    Just a simple „ping“ would be sufficient to safe me from the lamentations of some of my players

I concur. Ping should just be implemented. The arrows are useful, but pings are useful too and I don't see any reason not to implement it since clearly a significant number of people want it. I'd use it in preference to the arrow myself for a lot of things - indicating which goblin is which, for example, where the information is much more ephemeral than the arrow "feels".

Cheers, Hywel

Ping is a must have. Ping + shift focus to the ping.

Arrows rely on users to pan, scroll, find the things.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Ping is a must have. Ping + shift focus to the ping.

Arrows rely on users to pan, scroll, find the things.
    Both ping and arrow require users to scroll and locate. As far as I am aware, Roll 20 ping system doesn't have the ability to force player view to a location. I know in my experience with Roll 20 there has been many times where someone is pinging and people in the session had to pan around to find where specifically. With arrows, you can make them as conceivably long as you wish. So you could drag it across the whole map (not necessary most of the time) making it hard to miss.

Kinda related, I do wish there was an easier shortcut/ability to force player view to a specific area the DM is looking at. I know there is the option within the radial menu of the map to do so. Most often when I want to use that feature I am trying to zoom in on a token. You can't get the radial menu of the map in that case as you will just be right clicking on the token instead. It would be cool if syncing client/host view could be a key press/sequence/button versus just a radial menu option. Minor gripe.

Thread Information