5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Ping the map

Good Day All
    As someone who has never used any other VTT than FG, what does a "Ping" do?

Thanks

It 'pings' the map with a flashing light or similar device to draw attention to that part of the map.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    It 'pings' the map with a flashing light or similar device to draw attention to that part of the map.
    Good Day Zacchaeus
    Thanks, my players and I just use a quick square for the same effect it seems.

the ping also have extra function when you hold another key, that it shifts/pan all the players view directly to the ping
    My Forge Stuff: (click and you'll go there )

-----------------------------
    Discord: @mtprimo • Ultimate License Holder • FGU Community Dev & Forge Crafter • Marketing & Designer • Brazilian
    Owner of Aqui Existem Dragões, a company focused on adapting TTRPG content to digital/VTT ready content.

I know some players hate it when a GM uses it, but it is possible to sync the players' view to what the GM is looking at via Right-click on the image --> View(E) --> Sync Client View(S). This basically copies the center and zoom level of the GM's image but doesn't change the window size on the client view.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    I know some players hate it when a GM uses it, but it is possible to sync the players' view to what the GM is looking at via Right-click on the image --> View(E) --> Sync Client View(S). This basically copies the center and zoom level of the GM's image but doesn't change the window size on the client view.
    oh yea, totally forgot about this, now just need to keybind it and have an location effect whenever it is used together with a ping
    My Forge Stuff: (click and you'll go there )

-----------------------------
    Discord: @mtprimo • Ultimate License Holder • FGU Community Dev & Forge Crafter • Marketing & Designer • Brazilian
    Owner of Aqui Existem Dragões, a company focused on adapting TTRPG content to digital/VTT ready content.

Wow quote the topic. Thanks everyone for all the advice and input. Very helpful and informative ;0)
    "Prepare for unforseen consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Dudin View Post
    Both ping and arrow require users to scroll and locate. As far as I am aware, Roll 20 ping system doesn't have the ability to force player view to a location. I know in my experience with Roll 20 there has been many times where someone is pinging and people in the session had to pan around to find where specifically. With arrows, you can make them as conceivably long as you wish. So you could drag it across the whole map (not necessary most of the time) making it hard to miss.

Kinda related, I do wish there was an easier shortcut/ability to force player view to a specific area the DM is looking at. I know there is the option within the radial menu of the map to do so. Most often when I want to use that feature I am trying to zoom in on a token. You can't get the radial menu of the map in that case as you will just be right clicking on the token instead. It would be cool if syncing client/host view could be a key press/sequence/button versus just a radial menu option. Minor gripe.
    The best implementation of ping and focus (and the one I was referring) is module from Foundry vtt. There is ping that shows nice visual indicator and option to center the players view on the ping no matter where they are.

That’s the only way to avoid clueless players who have no idea how to scroll or find the ping.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I definitely agree a more quick and convenient way to sync client view would be appreciated as it sounds like that Foundry module does.

Thread Information