5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    1) It's the only reason I currently use FGU. Without this there are much better platforms to use and are lower overhead and costs.

2)Lots of exts over the years is very relative, I would say very few are added to FGU. There are 1000+ exts out there and most have been around for over a year. Less than 1% have been added. Is less than 1% "A lot" to you? It isnt to me. When you consider some of them are very very very easy to add into the code.
    Fantasy Grounds has been around for 2 decades. Where did you pull this 1% from?

Other platforms.... a topic for little debate, they don't come close to FG (unless pretty graphics are what make an RPG).

A valid option here (edit), is for Smiteworks to be more transparent with their updates so that extension developers get more notification of upcoming changes. Smiteworks have a small team, and don't have time to parse "1000+ exts out there" and add them to the Core... it also means if they do add them to the Core, they have more work to do with upgrades for things that not everyone needs or wants. LOTS of people use FG without any extensions at all.
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; December 24th, 2022 at 14:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post

Other platforms.... a topic for little debate, they don't come close to FG (unless pretty graphics are what make an RPG).

A valid option here (edit), is for Smiteworks to be more transparent with their updates so that extension developers get more notification of upcoming changes. Smiteworks have a small team, and don't have time to parse "1000+ exts out there" and add them to the Core... it also means if they do add them to the Core, they have more work to do with upgrades for things that not everyone needs or wants. LOTS of people use FG without any extensions at all.
    Your opinion and my opinion for the word "lots" here is very different let's leave it at that

Back on topic, my point is that if you going to support as a major factor of your system extensions you don't want to blind side the ext makers by doing blind updates when you know this update will break exts. I think its a very valid point.
    -MrDDT
    Discord @mrddt

Really click this link and vote for your FGU wishes, more votes is more likely to get done and get what you want done.
    http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/
    Vote For Idea to Default Modules to GM Only
    Vote For Idea to Give GM More Hotkey Options
    Vote For Idea to Disable Dice Animations

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post

SW should ship you a pair of kneepads.

I'm not going to bother wasting time dissecting the bulk of your replies to DDT and myself. However, I will say that there are quite a number of extensions that are not subjective in their improvement of the client; they objectively improve the experience for every user.

Also, out of simple curiosity, can you name 10 extensions that have been added to the base client?

Extension developers haven't been blind sided by many updates as of late. Moon and I make myself available in the main discord, here on the forums, and have also made myself available to many other discords for third party developers. We pass along and make myself available to anyone developing to field questions related to any upcoming updates. This was an initiative we put in place some time ago and have seen many of the developers update their extensions with ready knowledge. As with any enhancement there may be some that slip through the cracks, but we are here to help them get back on their feet.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    Extension developers haven't been blind sided by many updates as of late. Moon and I make myself available in the main discord, here on the forums, and have also made myself available to many other discords for third party developers. We pass along and make myself available to anyone developing to field questions related to any upcoming updates. This was an initiative we put in place some time ago and have seen many of the developers update their extensions with ready knowledge. As with any enhancement there may be some that slip through the cracks, but we are here to help them get back on their feet.
    Despite the fact that I am often critical, I do give credit where it's due and I know that Moon does work closely with creators. I don't have any first-hand knowledge of your involvement, but thank you anyway.
    Last edited by BushViper; December 24th, 2022 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    Thanks, SuperTeddy, and I agree with you guys put yourself out there and are in contact with a lot of ext makers to make sure things go smoothly. More so even as of late.
    -MrDDT
    Discord @mrddt

Really click this link and vote for your FGU wishes, more votes is more likely to get done and get what you want done.
    http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/
    Vote For Idea to Default Modules to GM Only
    Vote For Idea to Give GM More Hotkey Options
    Vote For Idea to Disable Dice Animations

Well our goal is not to see games come down. We want you folks to have fun and play on while we present new and exciting features. If a developer feels left out, please reach out to me directly on discord and we can see if we can get you sorted. Just wanted to chime in to say that we code with extension developers in mind and develop plans on how to reach out and educate to keep them working.

As for integration, we do integrate extensions. Our process is not to take the code and jam it into the code base. We look at the extension on how it operates and attempt to code it without looking at the developers code. We need to ensure that it fits the current code base, ensure it's backward compatible for every virtual table, and can be provided on a mass scale across many other rulesets. So, the list of extensions on the forge are growing, but we do take our time to ensure we don't cause further grief as more integration can cause further changes to the code landscape and becomes a full circle of unhappy extension developers and users.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

I would like to add that I asked for some of the 3.5/PF1 extensions to be incorporated into the main ruleset and a number of people felt that would be a bad decision because many prefer the flexibility not having the game locked down with automation but more of a salad bar of extensions approach. After some time on the fringes (not PF2/5E) I can totally see how things are better for versatility, house rules, etc.

Blog Entries
    Across all rulesets there are only 315 extensions on the Forge. Maybe there are that many extensions again in other locations. Many extensions overlap each other and do similar things. SW know what extensions are actually used and for how many games. I know what extensions I use (Ive either written them plus up to 3 extensions I use in some games) and its not many. Just like most users never ever post on the forums, most dont use extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Across all rulesets there are only 315 extensions on the Forge. Maybe there are that many extensions again in other locations. Many extensions overlap each other and do similar things. SW know what extensions are actually used and for how many games. I know what extensions I use (Ive either written them plus up to 3 extensions I use in some games) and its not many. Just like most users never ever post on the forums, most dont use extensions.
    I've found of late that I rarely use extensions outside of themes. On occasions I've found a need to change some skills around or something, change a character sheet label or whatnot. Most of the time I'd rather minimize the extra stuff and just run the game like an old school game master.

My roommate was telling me that he didn't really know how to play a game we've been using for over a year. He said he had some concepts but kind of didn't know some of the others because FG does it for him so he never bothered to look it up. For instance I had installed a sneak attack extension to 5E which was great but I didn't really notice that the rogue was reliant on the extension because they didn't really get flanking. They were less engaged because of the automation and less likely to look up or ask for an explanation of the rule. I've found that when I minimize the automation they have a better idea of the rules and are more likely to consider positioning and other things they would just whatever before.

So I am very much in the extensions shouldn't be immediately shifted into rulesets category. There are some, like Player Agency that would be nice to have integrated.

Thread Information