FG Spreadshirt Swag

Odd Feature Request: Negative Damage Dice

Looking through Dark Archive, there are a lot of spells that deal 1dX damage per spell level... But have a starting damage of spell level-1. These spells aren't uncommon in past releases, either, and they are annoying because there's no way to automate the damage increase, despite the damage increasing by 1 die per spell level.

A possible fix would be the ability to make the dice multiplier negative when defining damage dice. Then, for example, to automate the damage of shatter mind you would set it to deal 1d4 mental damage per spell level, and then add a separate damage line of -1d4 mental damage.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    A possible fix would be the ability to make the dice multiplier negative when defining damage dice. Then, for example, to automate the damage of shatter mind you would set it to deal 1d4 mental damage per spell level, and then add a separate damage line of -1d4 mental damage.
    Unfortunately that won't work - Shatter mind at 3rd level would then roll 3d4-1d4 which is not the same as 2d4.

In release 19 I'm working on a way to specify heightened damage in an additional (different) way that should cover instances like this.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I was imagining the negative dice would "cancel out" but you are right it's not quite the same.

Super happy release 19 is going to have an answer, though!

Thread Information