DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Weird Hazard Automation Glitch

While trying to add automation to a hazard, I seem to have triggered some kind of weird glitch. Putting some automation code into the Actions Auto field causes the Actions field to rename itself to Actions(A) with a star after it (like the one you click for auto applying spell effects).

At that point, typing anything at all into the Actions(A) field causes that field to absolutely explode with a constant stream of self-generating text.

At no point in this process does the automation appear to actually work.

I can't recreate this. Could you provide step-by-step details of how to recreate please?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I can't recreate this. Could you provide step-by-step details of how to recreate please?
    Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you on this - the campaign is on my partners computer instead of mine and I haven't been able to get at it. I'll provide a campaign file and instructions when I get the chance.

Here we go - no campaign file since I was able to recreate this on a fresh hazard.

Step 1: Create a new bestiary entry.

Step 2: Toggle it to be a hazard.

Step 3: Paste this into the Actions (Auto) field:
    "[DC 15 Fortitude save]" | Save:Fortitude[DC:15]
    "[Stage 1]"|Damage: 1d4 poison
    "[Stage 2]"|Damage: 1d6 poison
    "[Enfeebled 1]" | Effect: Spear Frog Poison; Enfeebled: 1
    Step 4: Click on any other field; Actions will become Actions (A)

Step 5: Type anything at all in Actions (A), wait a couple seconds, watch the fireworks.

I suspect the issue here is a formatting error - my partner is fairly new to doing automation, following ShadeRaven's guide, and probably mistyped something in the above. However, I figure it's pretty concerning that a mere formatting error can cause what appears to be an infinite loop of text generation.

EDIT: If it helps, here's a screenshot of the textplosion that results.
    Textplosion.png

EDIT2: I have also just remembered there was a mention of hazard automation changes being part of update 19, which led me to realize this might be a test channel bug, and therefore I should take it over to the Lab. Sorry if that is the case.
    Last edited by MaxAstro; July 12th, 2022 at 23:57.

Generally, you don't need the square brackets inside the quotation marks. In fact, those are likely what are causing the issue. The automation is usually looking for the text in the quotation marks in the Effects field and then puts square brackets around that; so if you're already having square brackets that might cause a loop.

Try putting this inside the automation field:

"DC 15 Fortitude save" | Save:Fortitude[DC:15]
    "Stage 1"|Damage: 1d4 poison
    "Stage 2"|Damage: 1d6 poison
    "Enfeebled 1" | Effect: Spear Frog Poison; Enfeebled: 1

And then the following in the Actions field:

A creature who steps inside the trigger area must make a DC 15 Fortitude save. On a failure, it's affected by Spear Frog Poison. Stage 1 - Stage 2 - Enfeebled 1
    You'll notice that the relevant text will become wrapped in square brackets, which signifies the areas that you can click / drag for the appropriate effects.
    I hope that gives you an idea on how the automation is supposed to work
    This should give you an idea on how automation is supposed to work

Quote Originally Posted by Montis View Post
    Generally, you don't need the square brackets inside the quotation marks. In fact, those are likely what are causing the issue.
    Yep, that's causing the issue. Don't put square brackets in the automation match string.

More information on this can be found in the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...tomation-field
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'll pass that along - although may I also suggest some sanity checking in the code to block an infinite loop? If you accidentally create one there's basically no way to salvage the hazard except to delete it and start over. If you are lucky Ctrl+A + backspace can work, but not always or reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    ... although may I also suggest some sanity checking in the code to block an infinite loop?
    I'll look into it at some time in the future.

Thread Information