DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Locked Door

Locked Door

I know my players, and how clicky they can be. If I have a door which I want to be locked, I know that one of them will click it "open" and get LOS inside the room. To combat this, I tried something which seems to work: In front of the door, I place a little wall in front of the door with a node sticking out. This way, the door is impassible, and anyone clicking on it to be open will see nothing inside. When the door is unlocked or picked, I simply need to select the node which sticks out and erase it, thereby letting them move in. Here's how I line up the wall for the "locked door."

Now, to figure out how to stop them from seeing secret doors by hovering around until they see the "closed" icon...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by FXguy View Post
    I know my players, and how clicky they can be. If I have a door which I want to be locked, I know that one of them will click it "open" and get LOS inside the room. To combat this, I tried something which seems to work: In front of the door, I place a little wall in front of the door with a node sticking out. This way, the door is impassible, and anyone clicking on it to be open will see nothing inside. When the door is unlocked or picked, I simply need to select the node which sticks out and erase it, thereby letting them move in. Here's how I line up the wall for the "locked door."

Now, to figure out how to stop them from seeing secret doors by hovering around until they see the "closed" icon...
    Players can not see the closed icon for secret doors as far as I know It mimics completely a wall on the client side (I hope I remember that correctly)

Blog Entries
    Or, it's really easy to prevent this from happening a second time. The first time you notice a player doing this, you simple say something like "I see you opened that door on the map that your player hasn't gotten to yet. Amazingly by doing so you have managed to summon a Balrog. Roll initiative."

It is a very good way to prevent the players from doing that again

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

As a GM, you can press Shift while clicking on a door icon to toggle the lock state, instead of the open state. When locked, players can not change the open state, but the GM can.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    As a GM, you can press Shift while clicking on a door icon to toggle the lock state, instead of the open state. When locked, players can not change the open state, but the GM can.
    Now THIS is great to hear, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Players can not see the closed icon for secret doors as far as I know It mimics completely a wall on the client side (I hope I remember that correctly)
    I haven't tested secret doors yet; doing so now, thanks!

Would be nice if there was some kind of indication that a door is locked. For example, change hoover over color to red instead of blue. Right now, it is impossible for a GM to keep track of which doors are locked and not.
    Fantasy Grounds Official Discord Server
    [ULTIMATE LICENSE HOLDER]
    [FGU BACKER]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allmight View Post
    Would be nice if there was some kind of indication that a door is locked. For example, change hoover over color to red instead of blue. Right now, it is impossible for a GM to keep track of which doors are locked and not.
    Wishlist so the idea doesn't get lost

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I already have a task for Carl to show the lock state on the GM client. It just hasn't been implemented yet. We'll get there.

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I already have a task for Carl to show the lock state on the GM client. It just hasn't been implemented yet. We'll get there.

JPG
    That is really great news. Look forward to it
    Fantasy Grounds Official Discord Server
    [ULTIMATE LICENSE HOLDER]
    [FGU BACKER]

Thread Information