STAR TREK 2d20

Max number of players connected - 6?

Hi.

Maximum number of connected players is 6?

or I can try also with up to 8?

I have very good connection (fiber till home FTTH in Europe) my players have standard DSL.

What do you think? Need to start new D&D 5e campaign or else and I wonder if I can manage with 6, 7 , 8 players connected.

Thank you in advance for the replies.
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

Blog Entries
    I frequently run games with 8 or more connected... on occasion 11. It all depends on what your computer and bandwidth can handle (although people can still connect even if things are getting bogged down).
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I have:

Ping 2 ms - Download 650 Mbps - Upload 315 Mbps
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

What's important is your upload speed, the slowest player download download speed, how good the worse connection is, and the actual memory size of the largest things your are trying to share. Typically the biggest size things you transfer are images (usually maps) and it makes a huge difference if the size of the images is 10 megabytes or 200K.

Basically you have to upload everything the number of players times and you have to wait until everyone of them get the upload successfully. So there is not a hard limit on how many players.
    Last edited by Griogre; June 26th, 2022 at 18:25.

Blog Entries
    Any technical limit is very large, and beyond practical considerations. As said, it's more about what you share and what your expectations are. You will see this primarily when all your players join, and again when you share imaged. FG is mostly single threaded, so if you have 20 players connection and share a 1 MB image, you have to share 20MB of data, and that will be impacted by the slowest of those 20 connections.

If you are in the habit of pre sharing images before your session, and having players join up to 30 minutes early, you should be able to have up to a dozen players connected. Of course, running an RPG with that many players will probably be troublesome in and of itself.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information