Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Future Development

Hi there,
    When FGU was announced I was very excited and really looked forward to improvements in the application. Particularly in the UI functionality. However, while FGU does solve some pain points like networking a lot of development seems to be concentrated in developing a very sophisticated mapping application. I am not particularly interested in that direction of development. I prefer to use fairly simple drawing tools to create maps and if I want to learn high end image creation I would prefer to learn a widely used image creation tool. I mean, I may get around to looking in to the mapping tool at some time but I tend to use purchased adventures and have some tools that I am very happy with.

So my question, is there a road map or plan for future feature. I am not even asking for a timeline. I am aware that it is a small team and it will be done when it is done. I have noticed that there is some work going on in the main application but no idea where it is leading to and I have some features that I would like to see.

I would appreciate any information.

Smiteworks does not publish any public roadmap.

The best you are going to get is the wishlist, and even that is not foolproof. Just because something has a lot of votes, does not mean it is going to be implemented (like the multi screen support, the Unity Engine does not have the kind of cross platform support necessary to make that work).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UngainlyTitan View Post
    So my question, is there a road map or plan for future feature. I am not even asking for a timeline. I am aware that it is a small team and it will be done when it is done. I have noticed that there is some work going on in the main application but no idea where it is leading to and I have some features that I would like to see.
    The developers don't release anything like that publically.

There is the Wish List, that the community can use to suggest and vote for ideas But the devs do not directly use it to control what features they are working on (their are other factors they weigh). https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

When something is close to release, it will show up in the public test build, and mentioned in the Laboratory threads here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...The-Laboratory

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi there,
    When FGU was announced I was very excited and really looked forward to improvements in the application. Particularly in the UI functionality. However, while FGU does solve some pain points like networking a lot of development seems to be concentrated in developing a very sophisticated mapping application. I am not particularly interested in that direction of development. I prefer to use fairly simple drawing tools to create maps and if I want to learn high end image creation I would prefer to learn a widely used image creation tool. I mean, I may get around to looking in to the mapping tool at some time but I tend to use purchased adventures and have some tools that I am very happy with.

I would appreciate any information.
    I love using FGU, but I agree with you, I did not purchase it for the "mapping" functionality. I think they've done great work with the character creation wizard and the improvements I've see to the UI.

Thanks to every one that responded. I guess I am a little frustrated that the development effort is supporting stuff that I am not interested and I have no idea if the things that I am my players regard as pain points are being addressed at all. I had a look at the wishlist Sulimo and voted for some things and added some suggestion of my own.

Not sure if it will have any effect. I have spent a lot of time learning this application and quite a bit of cash on materials to run a game. It has great potential but the UI in particular needs a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Temmpest View Post
    I love using FGU, but I agree with you, I did not purchase it for the "mapping" functionality. I think they've done great work with the character creation wizard and the improvements I've see to the UI.
    Like the OP I purchase a lot of pre-builds as I do not have the time to come up with my own adventure, other than some side quests or improvising. I was surprised on how much time Smiteworks has spent on developing and implementing this mapping system. It is a bit disappointing, even though I love FGU, I would like to see some movement of those items that have been on that wish list for years. There are extensions for many of those items, but as we all know extensions mean an added risk.

I am a big fan of FGU, doesn't mean I have to be happy with all their choices! Still love the system over Roll20 and Foundry.

Thanks to every one that responded. I guess I am a little frustrated that the development effort is supporting stuff that I am not interested and I have no idea if the things that I am my players regard as pain points are being addressed at all. I had a look at the wishlist Sulimo and voted for some things and added some suggestion of my own.

Not sure if it will have any effect. I have spent a lot of time learning this application and quite a bit of cash on materials to run a game. It has great potential but the UI in particular needs a lot of work.

It's best if you can to describe what you want, simply stating that 'the UI in particular needs a lot of work' is not going to help the developers determine what needs to be done.

If you look at past discussions on the UI, it's seems it's mostly about how it looks vs. how it works. The look of FG can be changed via themes, so you might give those a try if that is what you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    It's best if you can to describe what you want, simply stating that 'the UI in particular needs a lot of work' is not going to help the developers determine what needs to be done.
    I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned enough there doesn't need to be yet another entry in the wishlist or a post describing. It's shorthand for "please modernize the UI". Or... see previous mountain of posts on the topic.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I know that one day we will have improvements in occluders, data modeling, animated maps, sound features and I have the patience to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post

If you look at past discussions on the UI, it's seems it's mostly about how it looks vs. how it works. The look of FG can be changed via themes, so you might give those a try if that is what you are referring to.
    I was pretty much told to post my ideas at the wishlist and I have being doing so. I am not a regular on the forums, but I was expecting a sticky on the topic. I really do not want to rehash what has been discussed before. Particularly if the no one from Smiteworks contributes. I will try and read the linked discussion but I have some very definite ideas I would like to see work on. And am willing to discuss it here if people are interested in that discussion.

Thread Information