5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by UngainlyTitan View Post
    Thanks this is useful though I was looking for something more big picture. Your video thread did alert me to features I did not know existed which is also an issue. This is one of the marketing failures of Smiteworks, in that their feature videos are hours long and no one has the time. They need a series of short 10 minute videos each covering one topic.
    Sort of like you do.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...091#post654091
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Lack of a roadmap with no way for a user to know if the areas of concern to them are going to be worked on is a major issue. You're faced with the choice of "wait and hope" or "go look for alternatives". And if you don't know what the next big thing right around the corner is, you don't know if it's something that might tip the balance back towards "I'll keep waiting".

Which is one of the reasons most people say "Buy FG for what it is today".

I've always found that the challenge with announcing the roadmap in advance (especially as we're a smaller company) is that we are constantly having to adapt to the current priorities.

We're constantly prototyping stuff, working on plumbing, pivoting to address items that come up, working with support, etc.; in addition to the "projects" we're working on. Even some of the projects we try either don't work out the way we want (and get shelved, possibly looked at later), or take much more time than anticipated, or just didn't work at all.

Also, we are balancing slowly improving and simplifying developer pieces of both rulesets and the client, while trying to minimize disruption and maintain maximum backward compatibility. I am constantly moving between projects to make sure that they're all getting the support they need to move forward when we can.

As we get within a few weeks of new features, we try to announce them.

Currently, we have projects for sound integration and custom dice in the works; but no final date yet as some of the research for both tech and production pipeline are still being worked out, as well as integrating from prototype to production code. Also, we have an ongoing push in the development channel to both simplify and consolidate developer resources for CoreRPG layer for use in all rulesets, as well as preparing for supporting 5E vehicles. When we don't have firm dates for release of a capability; we typically wait to announce and market within a few weeks when we're sure we are ready to deliver.

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; July 1st, 2022 at 19:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I've always found that the challenge with announcing the roadmap in advance (especially as we're a smaller company) is that we are constantly having to adapt to the current priorities.

We're constantly prototyping stuff, working on plumbing, pivoting to address items that come up, working with support, etc.; in addition to the "projects" we're working on. Even some of the projects we try either don't work out the way we want (and get shelved, possibly looked at later), or take much more time than anticipated, or just didn't work at all.

Also, we are balancing slowly improving and simplifying developer pieces of both rulesets and the client, while trying to minimize disruption and maintain maximum backward compatibility. I am constantly moving between projects to make sure that they're all getting the support they need to move forward when we can.

As we get within a few weeks of new features, we try to announce them.

Currently, we have projects for sound integration and custom dice in the works; but no final date yet as some of the research for both tech and production pipeline are still being worked out, as well as integrating from prototype to production code. Also, we have an ongoing push in the development channel to both simplify and consolidate developer resources for CoreRPG layer for use in all rulesets, as well as preparing for supporting 5E vehicles. When we don't have firm dates for release of a capability; we typically wait to announce and market within a few weeks when we're sure we are ready to deliver.

Regards,
    JPG
    As the person that started the thread, I am not particularly interested in a roadmap or a timeline. I used to work in software and I know the issues. But I am just wondering is the devs view of what is important overlap in any way with mine. I have seen a lot of development of a mapping application, which to be honest I see as unnecessary, there are perfectly good mapping applications out there that are easier to use. Not as good perhaps but good enough for the job.
    On the subject of mapping, why on Earth were spell templates placed in the image creation tools. Requiring the DM to enter map editing mode to use them and not put in to a user image layer? That is more work than is worth it for the DM.

I can understand that I might never see independent windowing or multi monitor support in the current version but scalable front? We can have die macros in chat but on the character sheet or any way to drag them to the buttons at the bottom. Or custom tooltips for those buttons so you can remember what you dragged there.

I mean I understand, small company, limited resources but it is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by UngainlyTitan View Post
    We can have die macros in chat but on the character sheet or any way to drag them to the buttons at the bottom.
    This is an easy one. Any chat command can be dragged to a quickbutton. Just type your command in the chat and, BEFORE hitting Enter, drag it to the button you want. (You can then right-click the button and edit the name, too, if desired.) This feature has been around since the early days of FG.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Blog Entries
    There is scaleui for changing the whole graphic scale. A problem with just changing the font size (like many big font extensions do) is that it does not change the size of the box the text is supposed to fit in, or the size of the character sheet window the stuff is all supposed to fit in.

It could be done for large text fields for things like story entries and the chat box, but not really for windows like character sheets, items, etc.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gezzer View Post
    So the actual modules that I purchased and then activated for the game could be the problem? And you don't see where that is an issue? I can understand if it's an add-on creating an issue because those aren't official, and all come with a buyer beware understanding. But official modules that are supported and purchased from Smite shouldn't and that's the problem as I see it. Plus it's not just that one, as I stated earlier there is all sorts of little got yas in the program, and if it's due to the modules that we have to buy half the time to get more use out of the program that's still a problem that IMHO needs to be addressed. Consider how many of these issues could actually cause new users to turn to easier to use alternatives. But I've said my piece here and am not about to beat a horse to death. This is becoming a waste of time for the both of us...
    If you go to the thread that Zacchaeus mentioned (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...rd-Bug-Reports) and add a post to it with the bug and how it can be recreated then the developer is pretty good about getting things fixed when he gets a chance. He might not read this thread so it would get missed.

I've moved the posts regarding the issue with Character Wizard to a more appropriate thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post654607

@Gezzer and others - please continue your discussions regarding the character wizard in that thread. Thanks.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information