5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Shockingly High RAM Usage Causing FGU To Lock Up

I've recently started DMing from my laptop, and I've noticed that FGU will frequently lock up while I'm doing absolutely nothing. I did some quick checks and noticed that FGU idles at more than 8 GB of RAM usage (see attached screen shot). Doing pretty much anything (like opening an image or character sheet) can make it spike as high as 15 GB. It's borderline unusable on my laptop, as a result. I don't recall having this issue with earlier iterations (as recently as 6 months ago).

Laptop Specs:
    CPU = AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS with Radeon Graphics 3.00 GHz
    RAM = 16 GB
    GPU = GeForce 2060 Max-Q
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    This is often because of the number of tokens or modules loaded, occasionally because of extensions. Please upload your log files and we can take a look at possible causes. Please see the link in my signature on reporting issues if you need info on obtaining your logs.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks @LordEntrails. I do have quite a few mods, so that might explain it. All but 2 are from Fantasy Grounds.

I have attached a zip file with a compilation of the logs right after I launch the FGU application. Please let me know if you need anything else. I appreciate your help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

From a brief look at your log files you appear to have every module that you own open in the campaign. This includes tons of adventures. Generally you only need to have one adventure open and that would be whatever one you are running. You also don't need to have the players versions of modules open (such as Mordenkainen, Fizban etc) unless you are creating characters for your players. I'd suggest therefore that you close off any modules that you don't need to run your campaign (Which really amounts to all of them except whet you actually need to run it; the adventure and maybe one or two reference books such as the PHB).

When you are prepping then open whatever modules you need for that and then close them once you have copied out whatever you need from them.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    For a bit of an idea of what I do, is I use a development campaign to prep for my play campaign (see link in sig). In the development campaign I will have open all my NPC/monster modules (of which I have a lot of!), plus all my magic item modules. Then I create the story entries and maps I'm going to use in my play campaign. Even when I'm using a purchased adventure, I still usually have additions or extra stuff (enhanced encounters, different magic, extra encounter maps, etc).

I prep all that in my development campaign, export it to a module, then in the play campaign I only have the adventure and my prep modules open. The player will often have more, but that doesn't really affect the host.

Besides performance, this allows several other benefits;
    - My object lists in my play campaign don't have extra entries
    - I'm not making changes to the adventure entries, so at any time I can revert changes if the adventure module is updated or has bug fixes applied to it
    - Re-use! Im big on re-use! Say that extra encounter of devils I've prepped because I though my players might go off the rails but they didn't? Well I can re-use it when they do. So if I was going to use it for a cultist hideout, now I can use it as a warlock's stronghold.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks to both of you!

I unloaded everything that wasn't a sourcebook, and that cut my RAM usage in half. I don't love having to disable content to get FGU to run smoothly, but I also understand that I can't have my cake and eat it too.

@LordEntrails, the idea of saving off pre-prepped game elements in a custom mod is a really good one. I'll explore that.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    I (mostly) solved this problem by throwing money at a new RoG laptop. Not everyone will be able to do a significant system upgrade just for FG though.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Beokuhn View Post
    Thanks to both of you!

I unloaded everything that wasn't a sourcebook, and that cut my RAM usage in half. I don't love having to disable content to get FGU to run smoothly, but I also understand that I can't have my cake and eat it too.

@LordEntrails, the idea of saving off pre-prepped game elements in a custom mod is a really good one. I'll explore that.

Thanks again!
    You aren't disabling content. You are just shutting down content that you don't need to have open during your gameplay. If you are running Lost Mine of Phandelver you don't need any other adventure module open. In fact having all that content open will severely clutter your NPC lists, items list, encounters lists, story entry lists. and so on. If you want to include an NPC in Lost Mine from another module - say Curse of Strahd - then you would do that in preparation before the game session by making a copy of that NPC and then close down the Curse of Strahd module.

When running your session you really only need the adventure module open. You might want the PHB or DMG open for reference purposes, but typically you won't really need anything.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Or another way to think of it, when you are playing around the table, do you have every RPG book you own on the table? Or just the adventure and one or two others? All the others you have on the floor next to you or on the shelf. Just like in FG, the ones you don't have on the table (i.e. loaded) are on the shelf and can be grabbed (loaded) anytime if you actually need them.

You mean I'm the only one with an organ like arrangement of all my books around me on different levels?

Thread Information