5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Need help from whomever designed the new record_char.xml and "overview"

I've included several pictures documenting how I can't seem to get my subwindow to work anymore in the new record_char.xml. Before it was simple - have a subwindow - anchored it to portrait - worked between charsheet header and tab scrollable info when it was visible - no overlap - no problem. Now I get the "overview" now contains portrait but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get my stuff to play with contentanchor relative placement to get my stuff in between the new header "overview" and the tab scrollable data.

codeexample.jpg

TESTexample.jpg

LIVEExample.jpg

anchorexamples.jpg

So basically, when I anchored to something below the header area of charsheet - the tabs sections all respected that space and moved down. Now I can't figure out how to get it to respect my subwindow in the same level of charsheet (due not wanting to change the many window... access points I have in the code).

Let me know if this is still doable - I honestly think I must be doing something stupid as I can't believe this has been rewritten to completely disable the previous ability to add in subwindows between the header and the tab data.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; June 15th, 2022 at 06:26.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

What was performed was making the top of the charsheet into a header like other records. So the same techniques in modifying records with a header and content separation would need to be approached here. From the looks of the polymorph feature you added to the actions tab, why not insert it into that subwindow instead of trying to anchor to the top?
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    What was performed was making the top of the charsheet into a header like other records. So the same techniques in modifying records with a header and content separation would need to be approached here. From the looks of the polymorph feature you added to the actions tab, why not insert it into that subwindow instead of trying to anchor to the top?
    Because its not part of the actions tab - is visible or not in each tab - just like the header. Hence - needs to be between the header and the scrolling tab record window regardless of active tab. Which it is in LIVE - probably the only way it could be there. But now with it moved into its own subwindow - I would have though putting it relative to the contentanchor used in overview and all the tab subwindows - would allow it to fit right in between them. However, I can't figure out how to get that to work. It seems it should - but it does not. So every charsheet page has this subwindow (visible or not based on current state of things and which tab is active) just like the header (which is always visible not something this is). All I want to do is stick this subwindow between the header (overview now) and the scrolling tab subwindow section.

I have another extension which adds stuff purely to action subwindow so know how to do it - its just not what this needs to do.

So how, in the new "overview" world do I get my charsheet subwindow at same level in window as it was anchored so that its at bottom of header (overview) and the tab scrolling section respects its space. Currently it places fine in regards to header (overview) when the anchor is
    Code:
    			<anchored to="contentanchor" >
    				<top anchor="bottom" relation="relative" />
    				<left />
    				<right />
    			</anchored>
    But for some reason the tab sections using sub_charsheet, which is also supposedly based off contentanchor, completely ignores the modification to contentanchor made by my subwindow relative placement. It makes no sense to me. If I insert my subwindow with the above anchor after "overview" or before "main" I would think it would respect the current contentanchor location - but it does not.

I need to know how to get my subwindow between header (overview) and the scrollable tab sections on charsheet as it was before. But can't figure out how/why its not working.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; June 15th, 2022 at 16:41.

Well crap. Its been two years since I wrote this stuff and I've completely forgotten there was no way to get this to work in LIVE either... without butchering the code. I have a tab callback function I had to implement and among a zillion other things it had to track, it had a section to determine when to push down the tab info because it was somehow hardcoded regardless of what the relative anchors in the individual subwindows said...
    Code:
    			-- PC sheet has seven tabs we need to push down to make room for sub_polymorphism (we won't try and display on tabs that aren't known to us)
    			-- this window is required - let it blow up if not present
    			window.parentcontrol.window.main.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			if window.parentcontrol.window.skills then
    				window.parentcontrol.window.skills.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			end
    			if window.parentcontrol.window.abilities then
    				window.parentcontrol.window.abilities.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			end
    			if window.parentcontrol.window.inventory then
    				window.parentcontrol.window.inventory.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			end
    			if window.parentcontrol.window.notes then
    				window.parentcontrol.window.notes.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			end
    			if window.parentcontrol.window.logs then
    				window.parentcontrol.window.logs.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			end
    			-- this window is required - let it blow up if not present
    			window.parentcontrol.window.actions.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    I really wish the tabs windows would respect the contentanchor's relative placement but I'm not going to make you guys worry about it as it never worked as expected - I just had to bash it into submission to do what I wanted. Guess I'll have to figure out how to butcher it in the new world.

Sorry to bother you guys - carry on.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; June 15th, 2022 at 16:42.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Because its not part of the actions tab - is visible or not in each tab - just like the header. Hence - needs to be between the header and the scrolling tab record window regardless of active tab. Which it is in LIVE - probably the only way it could be there. But now with it moved into its own subwindow - I would have though putting it relative to the contentanchor used in overview and all the tab subwindows - would allow it to fit right in between them. However, I can't figure out how to get that to work. It seems it should - but it does not. So every charsheet page has this subwindow (visible or not based on current state of things and which tab is active) just like the header (which is always visible not something this is). All I want to do is stick this subwindow between the header (overview now) and the scrolling tab subwindow section.

I have another extension which adds stuff purely to action subwindow so know how to do it - its just not what this needs to do.

So how, in the new "overview" world do I get my charsheet subwindow at same level in window as it was anchored so that its at bottom of header (overview) and the tab scrolling section respects its space. Currently it places fine in regards to header (overview) when the anchor is
    Code:
    			<anchored to="contentanchor" >
    				<top anchor="bottom" relation="relative" />
    				<left />
    				<right />
    			</anchored>
    But for some reason the tab sections using sub_charsheet, which is also supposedly based off contentanchor, completely ignores the modification to contentanchor made by my subwindow relative placement. It makes no sense to me. If I insert my subwindow with the above anchor after "overview" or before "main" I would think it would respect the current contentanchor location - but it does not.

I need to know how to get my subwindow between header (overview) and the scrollable tab sections on charsheet as it was before. But can't figure out how/why its not working.
    Then you can keep the overview subwindow as is and then merge="join" record_char.xml with your new subwindow with bounds below or even anchor it with position below to have it placed under the overview. Your second response showed a bit of you attempting to set the anchor, but you could do merge="replace" on the sub_charsheet template and replace the bounds with what you want. Just some suggestions.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    Then you can keep the overview subwindow as is and then merge="join" record_char.xml with your new subwindow with bounds below or even anchor it with position below to have it placed under the overview. Your second response showed a bit of you attempting to set the anchor, but you could do merge="replace" on the sub_charsheet template and replace the bounds with what you want. Just some suggestions.
    Yeah tried that among many other things. The position of my subwindow works several different ways and always results after the header - which is what I want. Now that I've remembered, my code will actually take care of the tabs automagically as even in LIVE I had to do that. So my mistake was thinking it was not working the same as in LIVE - but it really is. Just that code to reanchor the tabs never gets called because these errors occur anytime I place my subwindow (which stops any further processing and that is why the tab sections are never moved down)...

I'm trial and error trying to find what is causing the real issues now...

[6/15/2022 11:18:23 AM] [ERROR] window: Control (main) anchoring to an undefined control (name) in windowclass (charsheet)
    [6/15/2022 11:18:23 AM] [ERROR] window: Control (skills) anchoring to an undefined control (name) in windowclass (charsheet)
    [6/15/2022 11:18:23 AM] [ERROR] window: Control (abilities) anchoring to an undefined control (name) in windowclass (charsheet)
    [6/15/2022 11:18:23 AM] [ERROR] window: Control (inventory) anchoring to an undefined control (name) in windowclass (charsheet)
    [6/15/2022 11:18:23 AM] [ERROR] window: Control (notes) anchoring to an undefined control (name) in windowclass (charsheet)
    [6/15/2022 11:18:23 AM] [ERROR] window: Control (logs) anchoring to an undefined control (name) in windowclass (charsheet)
    [6/15/2022 11:18:23 AM] [ERROR] window: Control (actions) anchoring to an undefined control (name) in windowclass (charsheet)

I'm not sure why these errors are occurring. Putting prints in my subwindow stuff shows its after all my stuff is processed. I'm trying to figure out what has changed in the above controls (which I don't touch or change to my knowledge) to cause them to choke on "name" when my subwindow gets put in.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; June 15th, 2022 at 17:37.

Double crap - its that code I mention above setting the anchors I bet - it has "name" as one of the arguments. All me then. Its good when I'm stupid - I can fix it I hope.

Fixed, case closed. Anchoring from "portrait" to "overview" and changing my internal setting of anchor points from "name" to "overview" and all is fixed and working. So many hours of looking at this and I could never see how simple and direct the errors reported were. Had I just read into them literally and all would have been simple and quick. But "name" is pretty much used everywhere and I had completely forgotten about the code used to "fix" the tab anchors based on my subwindow being present or not.

Sorry for the trouble - but explaining this in here definitely helped me solve it.

Glad to help
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Fixed, case closed. Anchoring from "portrait" to "overview" and changing my internal setting of anchor points from "name" to "overview" and all is fixed and working. So many hours of looking at this and I could never see how simple and direct the errors reported were. Had I just read into them literally and all would have been simple and quick. But "name" is pretty much used everywhere and I had completely forgotten about the code used to "fix" the tab anchors based on my subwindow being present or not.

Sorry for the trouble - but explaining this in here definitely helped me solve it.
    I sat for 12 hours looking at 8 lines of code that should have been working (this was 68000 Assembly code) and when I finally figured out why it wasn't working and got it fixed, I went to the local Snooker club (like a Pool club in the USA) and no one knew what I was talking about when I explained why I was so pleased with myself, because this was in the 1980's and no one knew what assembly code was....

Thread Information