STAR TREK 2d20

Using Magic Items From the CoreRules

Is there a way to get the text of magic items from the reference manual onto a character without having to manually create the item? I'm finding mundane items in the Items list, but the Magic Items seem to only be available for viewing in the Reference Manual view and can't be searched for or added to a character's inventory.

I see Potions, Oils, and Runes in the item list. It appears that the original author of the core rules module opted to not create items for anything else that I can see. I'll look into how hard it would be to retroactively add those. I'm assuming you're talking about the specific items listed on pages 287-295 of the core rules book?

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    I see Potions, Oils, and Runes in the item list. It appears that the original author of the core rules module opted to not create items for anything else that I can see. I'll look into how hard it would be to retroactively add those. I'm assuming you're talking about the specific items listed on pages 287-295 of the core rules book?
    I only have access to the Reference Manual in FG that I can't find Page Numbers on, but the magic items I intended were the ones showing up under Chapter 9: Magic Items > Magic Item Descriptions

Thanks for looking into that!

One of the problems is that many of the listed 'magic items' are more properly categorized as 'magic item abilities' and can apply to multiple types of items. Creating all the different permutations of items and abilities seems like a waste of time, when the GM can just create the item on the fly before handing it out to the party (if your GM is not doing that for you, shame on them!). For example, the options under the "Armor, Robe, Shirt, Tunic" section not only apply to those four types of items, but underneath Armor there are also a multitude of options.

I looked into whether it is possible to drop powers into the Abilities or Powers tab of an item, so that I could just create a bunch of item powers that could be used that way. Unfortunately, the Abilities and Powers tabs of the item sheet do not currently accept drops of any kind.

So, for now, I'm not going to add any magic items to the core rules module. It seems like a massive amount of work to me, and the workaround is copying and pasting one paragraph of text into a new item.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    One of the problems is that many of the listed 'magic items' are more properly categorized as 'magic item abilities' and can apply to multiple types of items. Creating all the different permutations of items and abilities seems like a waste of time, when the GM can just create the item on the fly before handing it out to the party (if your GM is not doing that for you, shame on them!). For example, the options under the "Armor, Robe, Shirt, Tunic" section not only apply to those four types of items, but underneath Armor there are also a multitude of options.

I looked into whether it is possible to drop powers into the Abilities or Powers tab of an item, so that I could just create a bunch of item powers that could be used that way. Unfortunately, the Abilities and Powers tabs of the item sheet do not currently accept drops of any kind.

So, for now, I'm not going to add any magic items to the core rules module. It seems like a massive amount of work to me, and the workaround is copying and pasting one paragraph of text into a new item.
    That's a bummer, but understandable. I know the 5E ruleset accomplishes that nicely with the Item Forge and templates, but without that it I understand not including the mass list.

I can't figure out how to copy & paste text from a module however. FG doesn't let me highlight text from the Reference Manual window. Is there a hockey to press to allow the highlighting of text, or another way to get at that text for the items without having to retype it?

I was assuming you had access to the PDF. No, there isn't a way to copy reference manual text. Maybe what I'll do then is just create a bunch of placeholder items, one for each magic item ability. Then you will be able to make a copy of that item from the module and customize it as needed. That seems like a decent compromise. Give me a day or two to get that done.

You're awesome, thanks for the help!

Thread Information