FG Spreadshirt Swag

FGU Reference Manual not exporting updates

Hi all,

I'm building a 5e adventure campaign using the module exporter. The first build exports fine - I can load it correctly in this campaign and in others. Let's say I build out part 1 of a 5-part campaign like this. All fine.

The problem is when I then try to add more material (say I start writing part 2 now, and also want to update/develop some stuff in part 1 which relates back to this). If I now try to export the updated module (we'll call it v1.1), everything seems to export OK, and I get a "successful" note in the discussion panel.

BUT... now if I close down FG, re-open that game, and load the new module v1.1, everything (old and new) seems to be OK (image, NPCs, etc), but NOT the reference manual data. The ref. manual is now just totally blank a new vanilla structure with no entries (so just the starting untitled Chapter, untitled Subchapter and untitled new page). All the old stuff - and the new stuff - is all gone.

Same issue if I try to load the new module in any other 5e games too.

So: the first export works fine, but I can't then update or change anything and export it again after the first build. Is this correct, or an error? Am I exporting the later updates incorrectly?

If it's correct, I have to build the entire campaign before exporting (presumably with no way to back it up?) Also, I was hoping to build quite a long campaign for a friend to run, and send him periodic updates of module while he runs part 1 and I'm building part 3.

(I'm pretty sure I've had a similar problem with Rolemaster Classic a while ago, but was still learning the ropes so can't be 100% sure.)

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Blog Entries
    You wont get the results you expect if you add content in a campaign where the original content is in a module.
    Add the new content in the original campaign with the entire original data.

As @damned says you need to do all your creation and edits in a campaign reserved for just this purpose. You cannot export stuff that is in a module - only stuff that has been created in a campaign. This applies to everything that you create or edit - not just reference manuals. SO in order to edit or add material to your existing module do it in the campaign where you originally created chapter one of your campaign. You'll be able to open the reference in that campaign and edit or add stuff. Important note do NOT open the module you created in your creation campaign - that will cause you all sorts of heartache.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you both very much. I'm not totally sure I understand this though;

So I need to:

1. Make a new campaign that is dedicated solely to creating the new reference manual (let's call this new campaign 'City of Slaves ("Cos"))
    2. Build the first part/draft of this and export it (v1.0). I can import that into other campaigns and use the material in those, and backup as required.

The key thing here sounds like NOT to load this module (CoS v1.0) back into the original campaign now, but to keep developing it in the module builder only
    , (exporting updated versions from there to use in OTHER campaigns as required, etc).
    The only copy of the reference manual that the original campaign must ever have is the "module builder" version that I am working on.

Is that right?

Thanks so much both - all help appreciated.

Blog Entries
    See the link in my sig about Adventure Creation. Read the section (of the attachment, not just the OP) about "Development Campaigns".

Make a copy of your current campaign, call is "Devl" something. Go in and clean it up so it only contains things you want to export to your module. Go into your 'play' (original) campaign and remove the stuff that stays in your devl campaign

Export from the Devl campaign. Never open the module in the Devl campaign.

Update te devl campaign and re-export to the module whenever you make updates.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks so much - I'll have a good look through this. I started trying out last night the method in my previous post and so far, so good.

Thread Information