5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Crash to Desktop and Crash to Launcher

I had 2 incidents of FGU crashing today during gameplay. As a player trying to view the Players Handbook, it crashed back to the launcher.

Then while moving multiple player tokens it crashed back to desktop, and then when another player moved tokens it crashed back to desktop again.

Logs added.
    fgu_logs_20220520.zipfgu_logs_20220520.2.zipfgu_logs_20220520.3.zip

Edit: Losing Connection

fgu_logs_20220520.4.zip
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; May 20th, 2022 at 23:43.

I took a quick look, and it's an internal GC (garbage collection) crash in some core library/engine that is in unmanaged code. (i.e. no detailed error information captured).

Any information you have on the type of actions performed within the 5 minutes before it happened would be useful in order to try to reproduce. The main thing that has changed in this version is just the image painting routines, so painted maps would be a key item to review. Any other types of information on actions performed or time elapsed would be useful.

One of the big problems will be that it's a Linux scenario, which we only have set up under emulation for debugging and I don't really have any good tools to help narrow down the issue. I only have one Windows and one Mac machine for development , builds, and maintenance. Also, errors in unmanaged code typically brings down the debugger and Unity editor too, but not always.

I'm hoping that with additional information, we might be able to recreate the issue within the editor on Windows, where it is probably handled more gracefully with just a non-crash error code. (It wouldn't be the first time we've found something like that for Linux builds that crashed, but worked with a captured error on Windows/Mac.)

Thanks,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I took a quick look, and it's an internal GC (garbage collection) crash in some core library/engine that is in unmanaged code. (i.e. no detailed error information captured).

Any information you have on the type of actions performed within the 5 minutes before it happened would be useful in order to try to reproduce. The main thing that has changed in this version is just the image painting routines, so painted maps would be a key item to review. Any other types of information on actions performed or time elapsed would be useful.

One of the big problems will be that it's a Linux scenario, which we only have set up under emulation for debugging and I don't really have any good tools to help narrow down the issue. I only have one Windows and one Mac machine for development , builds, and maintenance. Also, errors in unmanaged code typically brings down the debugger and Unity editor too, but not always.

I'm hoping that with additional information, we might be able to recreate the issue within the editor on Windows, where it is probably handled more gracefully with just a non-crash error code. (It wouldn't be the first time we've found something like that for Linux builds that crashed, but worked with a captured error on Windows/Mac.)

Thanks,
    JPG
    I was streaming this so I have time stamps....

Setup is LOS and lighting on, token lock on.

The first "crash to launcher" where FG closed was when I opened the PHB Reference Manual from the Modules window, and clicked on the search bar then changed my mind and click on Chapter 9: Combat - the page (yellow image of someone fighting) was up for a few seconds and then it crashed (no error messages).

The disconnects later happened when I was selecting my characters - I think the other players where continuing combat as I got back in - and I had 3 characters to control but each one took a minute or so before clicking responded at all. This happened a few times until we called it.

The first map I crashed on had some mist effect and LOS and I think it also had a mask but I am not sure about that could have just been LOS occluders.
    Next map was shared during play time (rather than shared before we players connected to the table) and the first crash on that map was when I was moving tokens about I had a couple of moves on the go at once some hitting occluders because if a token move is accepted while you are moving another token they interfere with each other (from what I have seen multiple times as GM and Player)

Screenshot_20220521_234435.png

This error and crash (image below) I was doing nothing but another player was moving his token and a load of errors popped up on his screen.

Screenshot_20220521_234755.png

The final disconnect before we called it, I had just rolled initiative from the Main tab on the character sheets (3 PCs) and then is went kerplunk and returned to launcher.

The GM uses lots of extensions (being 5e and all) but he and all the other players are on Windows PC and apart from the errors mentioned about that another player got, they had no issues.

The socket warning messages are standard when the connection to the server has been lost by a player client unexpectedly. I'm not sure if the disconnect was caused by a low memory situation, or if it was unrelated. There is nothing in that console output that gives any error messages prior to the disconnect, so seems like it might be unrelated.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce locally yet. We're shoring up some bits of code this week that we hope will help; but any narrowing of the steps or additional scenarios would be appreciated, as well as testing out with the shored up version once we get that out (hopefully this week).

Regards,
    JPG

I just pushed a new client update (v4.2.1). We weren't able to recreate this particular issue; but we shored up a bunch of places where we thought it could help.

Can you update for your next session, and let us know if it helped?

Thanks,
    JPG

Currently running a session as a GM, and three times after whispering a message to a player, for some reason I got a list of slash commands without prompting before FGU just simply crashed to desktop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vonBlashyrkh View Post
    Currently running a session as a GM, and three times after whispering a message to a player, for some reason I got a list of slash commands without prompting before FGU just simply crashed to desktop
    What version of FGU? Were all the clients on the same version?
    edit: because an update was pushed earlier today

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

@vonBlashyrkh,
    Just pushed a hot fix for chat slash command crash issue. Can you have everyone in your group run a new Check for Updates, and try again?

Thanks,
    JPG

the hotfix seems to have resolved the chat slash command crash. Thanks.

I had the same error, earlier, when using the click on portrait to whisper to a player,

FG error.jpg
    Ultimate License, Classic & Unity, Currently Running Fortnightly, 5E Land of Fate, 5E Vale of Shadows, 5E Pages of Darkness, 5E Izramurs lingering Gift, 5E Jotunhammer, 5E Terror Loch Tower, 5E Spellbinder, MGT2 Pirates of Drinax, 5E Storm Giants Thunder, 5E Winters Curse, 5E Catacombes of Sunless Sorrows

Thread Information