FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

FGU Standard - is it still useful?

I understand the motivations behind Standard; but I know very few people who have it. Most people are GMing on the regular, in which case they almost always just get Ultimate and those uninterested in GMing almost always just run the Demo.

Secondly, it's confusing to people coming to FGU. Every time I explain the different editions, I get "Whats the point of Standard then?" and I struggle to answer.

Might I humbly suggest SW restructure the products;

Player's Edition - what is called "demo" now. It's not a demo if someone is just always running it all the time to play.

GM's Edition - what is called "ultimate".

I realise this may be controversial? I can't imagine SW hasn't at least considered this ... but maybe not? I don't know.

Do people actually find the Standard edition of FGU useful? Are there any groups of people out there that all of them have standard, including the DM? Because I've never seen anyone operate that way but maybe there are and what I'm suggesting is ludicrous.

puts on flame retardant suit

One of the options on Steam is a package of buying 4 standard licences for the price of three. That’s how I got started by giving the other three licences to my children. I suspect that if the standard license wasn’t selling it would be withdrawn. Furthermore it does allow players more options than a demo version does as far as DLC is concerned.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Plus for groups that have rotating GMs it is fairly critical to not require every GM to have an ultimate.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

As Lord Entrails said, the option to rotate the GM duties among a group of players is the main reason to buy Standard. It's also a good choice for prospective GMs who aren't sure about spending the $ for Ultimate, but want to check out FGU's tools for campaign building. There's a discounted path to upgrade to Ultimate, so if you to buy Standard in a sale and later upgrade, the difference in $ between having initially purchased Ultimate instead, won't be much.

Otherwise, I agree it'd be easier for SmiteWorks to market FGU if the choices was binary between a free client and a paid for server-host edition, but there is the need for a 3rd version that falls somewhere between.

$150 of an ultimate license is a lot of money for someone to pay if they want to GM some games. Not everyone has expendable income like that to throw around. GMs advertising for players will still get take up with a standard license as there are plenty of FG users who already have a license who want to play.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

There is a 20% off sale on the FGU licenses until the 23rd.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Just to play is the Demo version; no purchase is required.
    However, Standard gives you a couple more options and can host other standard users. And if a standard user has any means to purchase character creation the content, you can create characters without needing a host, unlike the demo.
    IF the players do not intend to build characters or create content, the FREE demo is a good option. The three separate ways to interface and use Fantasy Grounds are intentional. All editions allow one to play but not necessarily to host. You do not intend to purchase content with just the demo version. I do not think the user understands how to use FG or knows the difference in the options because they are likely new, don't intend to buy anything, or don't care as long as they can play.
    If there is difficulty explaining this to others, just show a newer user the front page lists all of the differences side-by-side. However, that still might not matter if the users are not aware of what FGU can do or how it works.

"Player's Edition - what is called "demo" now. It's not a demo if someone is just always running it all the time to play."
    It would give a user or player the option to create their own characters and create content without requiring a host.
    The difference is more options and fewer restrictions for hosting options.

Ultimate: Host the Ultimate game, and players join and play for free. Sub Options

Standard: Join any Game or Host a game as GM for other Standard and Ultimate players. Sub options
    FGU.png
    Last edited by Laerun; May 17th, 2022 at 03:53. Reason: spelling errors, clarity
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Maybe instead of calling it the FGU Free Demo, call it FGU Basic?
    Native Texan. Tabletop Gaming since 1977. Ultimate License holder. Life-long Trekkie. Traveller fanatic. Die-hard Savage. OSR enthusiast. 1930's Pulp aficionado.
    Currently Running:
    Cypher System: Shotguns, Sorcery & Shenanigans
    Currently Playing:
    Shadowdark: ShadowRim Excursion
    Savage Worlds: Hell Divers
    Ambition & Avarice: Maelstrom Island
    Time Zone: Central Daylight Time (GMT-5)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkerry View Post
    Maybe instead of calling it the FGU Free Demo, call it FGU Basic?
    Well I for one definitely want the word "free" in the downloadable, free client. If only because I don't want any new players getting the impression they're going to have to pay for anything to just join a campaign. For some players, it's already a big enough sell convincing them to use something they're going to have to take the time to download & install. FGU Free Basic, or FGU Free client; I could live with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    One of the options on Steam is a package of buying 4 standard licences for the price of three.
    Good Day Zacchaeus
    I am not a steam user, but how would I look for this if I wanted to gift standard licenses to my players in case they want to five DM'ing a shot? I tried searching on stem with no luck.

Thread Information