FG Spreadshirt Swag

Thread: Load Limit

Load Limit

I am creating a few pregens in SW Deluxe and I noticed they do not get "Load Limit" filled for them based on STR.

I think I recall someone saying this was because many things can affect Load Limit. Is that the reason? Is it different with SWADE (have not yet played it, only read them and my memory for details is poor)?

Load limit is a manual entry for the SWD FG ruleset. Whereas as in the Encumbrance table in the book, the SWADE FG ruleset uses the formula Strength x 10 - 20 for Strength die types d4 -to- d12.
    In the core SWD book, Load Limit is calculated as Strength x 5. I can only speculate, but I can think of 2 reasons why the creator of the FG SWD ruleset might have not auto-calculated load limit:

The text in SWD suggests hand-waving load limit and allowing more player agency around it in the opening sentences: "In general, you shouldn’t worry about Encumbrance. Characters will usually carry no more than their characters think they actually need."
    Many SWD GMs replaced the STR x 5 formula for Load Limit with something else, as the default was just too limiting.

Otherwise, I don't remember any official reason in SWD for not using Load Limit based upon the default calculation. I know for SWD tabletop I typically houseruled a different formula depending upon the setting. Otherwise you got beefy knights in full plate who'd strain when just picking up a coil of rope.
    Last edited by kronovan; May 10th, 2022 at 02:15.

Makes sense that some would want to adjust those numbers. I just wondered why the default wasn't just filling it in as indicated in the core rules then you would override it as you wished.

I'm sure there was some more technical reason, like an edge condition (not the calc itself which is easy). Doesn't kill me to do 5xSTR in my head for each pregen as I add them (since I would supply merely the "official" rules and anyone can change it as they please after opening it.

In SWD, Brawny Edge modifies the formula to 8x Str. In SWADE it just treats the die type as 1 higher than what it actually is, but doesn’t change the formula. Before Ikael, SWD lacked a lot of automation. I’m not sure at what point he added the auto-calc to SWADE. Also, since SWADE has been out for awhile, I’m not sure at what point he stopped retrofitting enhancements that required separate development to SWD.

Thread Information